Arma fps issues to be improved?

Arma fps issues to be improved?

« posted: Sep 18, 2015, 05:09 AM »
Read this while over in the Exile forums.  This should be good news for Wasteland as well,  no? Or were these issues only relevant to Exile?

http://www.exilemod.com/announcement/8-we-nailed-it/
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

Re: Arma fps issues to be improved?

« Reply #1 posted: Sep 18, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Never had these problems in Wasteland. We run an Exile server too. It's Exile related imho.
  • Offline DiBBz
  • Fresh Spawn
  • Fourth Echelon

« Reply #2 posted: Jul 18, 2016, 11:14 AM »
and yet here we are almost a year later and some wasteland servers are still terrible with FPS!

#WhyHaveMoreThan60SlotServers!

« Reply #3 posted: Nov 08, 2016, 08:10 PM »
I find every Stratis Wasteland server gets slow once a certain player count is reached. At one point I was running a 100/100 player server. There was little noticeable difference between a dedi/shared hosting. I also find Altis to perform significantly better at the same player counts.

My thoughts on this are that it is a combination of # of objects/vars/players being sync'd and the render distance. I'm assuming(And hoping) under the hood Arma 3 server only sends information on objects that are in view per player. I could be wrong, but this would explain why Altis tends to run better. (Players are more spread out)

I had a thought recently to move spawn island offshore(like 6km) so that when people afk they are so far from main island they don't receive unnecessary packets. I'd place some kind of structure.

This is all just theory though. No idea how the server actually distributes packets among clients. I figured it had to be a hard limit set on server, or the server is aware of client side set render distances.

And yeah auto kicking afk people works too. If you want to go that route.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Https://Fractured-Gaming.com

« Reply #4 posted: Nov 09, 2016, 04:29 AM »
I had a thought recently to move spawn island offshore(like 6km) so that when people afk they are so far from main island they don't receive unnecessary packets. I'd place some kind of structure.

We've done this on our server, it helps a "little bit" but not much.
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!

« Reply #5 posted: Nov 17, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Its a server issue more than anything...We use prebuilt bases. We have TWO large prebuilts bases then we have these smaller ones. I had to delete 3 of the smaller ones.

This is what happens whenever your gaming engine is still stuck at 32bit...I don't care what BIS says about how they can use more memory allocation than what normal 32bit programs can utilize it still causes problems in the long run. Last whenever your gaming engine is a CPU hog and doesn't utilize the GPU what good is the game overall? Not much IMHO...

But I pray there is hope as BIS announced they are going to start working on 64 executables between now and June 2017 so we will see how that will go..

BTW did they ever say what was cause the FPS issues? I just see they just announced "We have found the problem" without telling what the problem was...
  • Offline -
  • Armaologist
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #6 posted: Nov 20, 2016, 02:40 PM »
BTW did they ever say what was cause the FPS issues? I just see they just announced "We have found the problem" without telling what the problem was...

They never really elaborate on updates all that much - or at least to that detail.

« Reply #7 posted: Dec 06, 2016, 02:47 PM »
One thing I noticed recently is that if I look straight down, or straight up at the sky my FPS drops to 18. That is with a 1080GTX, 5930k CPU and obviously an SSD. That is with a 3000m view distance from center of Stratis island. It has the same effect as changing your view distance to 7000m+ and going to corner of map and putting the whole island in perspective.

My only theory is that looking straight up or straight down bring the entire island into perspective on the XY grid. So the game uses the player 3d camera to get it's XYZ perspective, but only uses XY to filter objects for processing. So this is why looking down to loot corpses can get especially laggy.

I custom modified my CHVD to do a bunch of things different, still experimental. Firstly, when player is in 3rd person force their view distance down to 2000m. Second, when looking down at corpse drop view distance to 1000m, makes looting easier if you were lagging. Third, bounding box check to determine if player is in building, if so then drop view distance to 1000. One player on my server boasted over 80fps when in store buildings.

My changes are still experimental though, and there are still some odd quirks I am working out. And of course this does nothing for server FPS, only the client.