how to remove the grass from arma 3 server?

how to remove the grass from arma 3 server?

« posted: Apr 13, 2016, 06:07 PM »
I had created an westeland server and i want to turn off the grass due to the low fps. In which archive/file is the configuration to turn it off?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

Re: how to remove the grass from arma 3 server?

« Reply #1 posted: Apr 16, 2016, 08:37 PM »
lol, grass is not what causes low fps...
  • Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

« Reply #2 posted: Apr 17, 2016, 09:59 PM »
One day hopefully BI will let us disable wildlife :)
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #3 posted: Apr 18, 2016, 12:17 PM »
well the grass does add to some fps loss - usually about 10 - 15 fps client side.

you can disable grass by setting your terrainGrid higher ( higher = lower GG arma )

Code: [Select]
setTerraidGrid 50; // This removes grass rendering
The Default is 25 for MP i believe - you will be seeing some weird and wonderful things if you - if you look into the distance you will see players and objects "floating" . This is caused by the low terraingrid vs high view distance. I wouldn't recommend setting your viewDistance and objectViewdistance over 1200 when using a terrainGrid of 50.

Furthermore you CAN disable the ambient life ( ambient sounds and critters ) by using

Code: [Select]
enableEnvironment false; // Disable enironmental sounds and critters
This can in some cases add abotu 5 fps on the client. Again the side effect of this is that you can't hear ambient sounds like wind / rain etc.

Some servers use CHVD and others use Tonic's View Distance scripts from the player menu to adjust these settings ingame. Aesthetically they may impact the look and feel of the game , but they do give up to 10 - 20 fps on lower end rigs.

You can also set your viewdistances along with the terraingrid in the playermenu hpp presets as shown HERE!

Goodluck!

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 posted: Apr 18, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Talking in terms of raw FPS numbers isn't really relevant, the proper unit of measurement for performance gain is in % of max FPS. 10 FPS on top of 100 FPS is not a lot (+10%), but 10 FPS on top of 30 FPS is much more significant (+33%). Such percentages scale linearly with any max FPS.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #5 posted: Apr 18, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Talking in terms of raw FPS numbers isn't really relevant, the proper unit of measurement for performance gain is in % of max FPS. 10 FPS on top of 100 FPS is not a lot (+10%), but 10 FPS on top of 30 FPS is much more significant (+33%). Such percentages scale linearly with any max FPS.

Absolutely - would probably make sense to mention this was on my test laptop with a GTX 650M and i7 processor and 8GB DDR3.

The % gain would be relative to the hardware you are running.

Thanks @Agentrev

- from the grassy knoll -