Jets

• Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

Jets

« posted: Jul 20, 2016, 09:05 PM »
One thing I've never yet been able to find a happy medium for is the availability of jets and how devastating they can be.

No matter what price I adjust them to somehow they feel so over powered at times.

Server owners, what are your experiences? How do your players feel?

Re: Jets

« Reply #1 posted: Jul 20, 2016, 11:57 PM »
max AI skill and Hostile Jet FTW  ;D

I just put the a10 for 200k and really have any player complaining about that

« Reply #2 posted: Jul 21, 2016, 03:06 AM »
One thing I've never yet been able to find a happy medium for is the availability of jets and how devastating they can be.

No matter what price I adjust them to somehow they feel so over powered at times.

We run a $5k start server and our jets start at 40-60k. We max the bank at a mill. People who like to spam jets end up broke very quickly. On Stratis it is just the one airfield and there isn't a huge likelyhood that that jet is going to last more than 5-10 minutes.

On Tanoa we have the same pricing. It's a bit different and I'm still trying to balance it but my players do their best to keep the server balanced. Hostile Jet and Heli missions help as these spawn and annhilate aircraft but I don't have it toned to a super excessive spawnrate, they are actually quite rare.

« Reply #3 posted: Aug 05, 2016, 02:49 AM »
We disable both of these on our server in the store config as they are overpowering. The only way to get the one is to get it on the mission:

//["A-164 Wipeout CAS", "B_Plane_CAS_01_F", 60000, "vehicle"],
//["To-199 Neophron CAS", "O_Plane_CAS_02_F", 60000, "vehicle"],

We also disable the Blackfoot as a person can be on the other side of Atlis with a gunner and shoot somebody on the opposite side of the map!!! Way overpowering considering mobile AAs cannot even detect jets at 2,000 meters to lock on...That is how bad BIS coded them..Yes 2,000 meters is 6,000 feet but in real life they can lock on further than that. And that is with my VIEW DISTANCE MAXED out in the video config. BIS needs to do some homework.

In a Tigris I can see a jet fly over on Radar. I can get out of Tigris and see the jet. Jump back in and see the jet but cannot lock on because once they reach 2,000 meters you cannot lock on. Try it in the editor for yourself. I tested it over and over. Maybe there is a way around this I don't know but but I haven't figured it out yet.

Anyway I am jumping ahead..Just disable whatever you want in the store-config.sqf by placing two // like I did in the example. Now since the Hackers mission is a bust we just put the jet formation mission back on the server. We would rather deal with it than people hacking the hackers mission or getting kicked by battle eye.

Best of luck..
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #4 posted: Aug 05, 2016, 08:18 AM »
As always it's EXTREMELY hard to find balance between bambi players and seasoned veterans.

I had guys on my server using UAVs to laser designate people and a team member locking on them with DAGR missles 2.5km away ...

All i can say it ... GIT GUD !! I would think that about 90% of Arma 3 players don't understand or know how to do certain advanced things.

Jet's is one of those things that once mastered it can be pretty devastating - however, all it takes is some AA co-ordination and the pilot has no chance ^^''

I would consider the possibility of an infantry only Wasteland server with civilian vehicles. No tanks , Jets , MRAPs with guns etc. Also remove any guided launchers like Titans. That way you have to use your gun :P

CP out
- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #5 posted: Aug 05, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Remove the AG Turret and problem solved.

« Reply #6 posted: Apr 04, 2017, 05:07 AM »
I try to get around the Jet problem by using the AT6-Texan mod and other Turbo-Prop fighter plane mods. They are generally slower, sometimes lack Flares, and still have the same fire power for the most part. They are also loud as hell so you can hear them coming easily.
  • Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary

« Reply #7 posted: Apr 04, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Mods don't work with Wasteland, well they do but it's a sure way of killing server population.

In the end I adjusted the loadouts of jets and reduced some of the lock on rockets. Not had complaints since.
  • Offline bodybag
  • Hardened
  • Gameaholic.se

« Reply #8 posted: Apr 05, 2017, 08:32 AM »

It's war, air support is a pain in the ass! All armed air vehicles shall be expansive as hell, we dont have a single armed jet under 100k. Also, a big no to free "Jet-spawn" on airfields or getting'em in AI missions, like "capture vehicle". If they want'em, go buy it and it will cost alot, both to buy and resupply

Mods don't work with Wasteland, well they do but it's a sure way of killing server population.
We run CUP-Weapons and CBA as a requirement and JSRS4-Apex as a trusted addon. On the other hand, our server is made by and for our members at Gameaholic.se. Atleast 80% of our players are members of the same community, devided in smaller groups and channels on the same Teamspeak. We have the server open for the public tho but in the purpose to invite more players who we hope will become new members. What we build and use on the server is stuff that our members want.

• Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary

« Reply #9 posted: Apr 05, 2017, 11:29 AM »
In your scenario of a group of friends playing Wasteland then yes mods work but purely public servers with mods running don't, I've known plenty of server owners who have closed down servers due to the vast majority of wasteland (vanilla Arma) players not wanting to or don't know how to get the right mods downloaded / launched.

I hope it works out for you I'd love to see more modded wasteland servers for sure.

Ps I also run with Apex JSRS key so players who want to use it can without it being a requirement

« Reply #10 posted: Apr 05, 2017, 03:53 PM »
In your scenario of a group of friends playing Wasteland then yes mods work but purely public servers with mods running don't, I've known plenty of server owners who have closed down servers due to the vast majority of wasteland (vanilla Arma) players not wanting to or don't know how to get the right mods downloaded / launched.

I hope it works out for you I'd love to see more modded wasteland servers for sure.

Ps I also run with Apex JSRS key so players who want to use it can without it being a requirement

Well im actually in the process of replacing the stock base building with the iBuild mod. Everything is available on the Steam workshop.

Zke is also providing me with his AI script to have roaming AI. If you have ever played his LOST mission you will know what the AI are like. They kind of remind me of the Sarge's AI script.