Bridge opening!

• Offline morfen
  • Fresh Spawn

Bridge opening!

« posted: Apr 20, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Hello Guys!
First i just want to say sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, but i decided its both editing and coding that will be needed for this little project so I ended up posting it here! Please move this topic else were if needed!.

So..
Me and 8ody8ag had a fun little idea to build a Bridge between Savaka and the road North of Tobakoro
At first it was just a bridge with some Crashfences on and then we started adding some more stuff and it quickly escalated and we made it to a bridge with an opening "For Boats and/or Ships".
It ended up looking like this
View 1
http://i.imgur.com/KfXasUe.jpg
Bridge opening!

View 2
http://i.imgur.com/M2KS6xP.jpg
Bridge opening!

The problem is that its open all the time. Ofc you can jump/drive over the little opening gap with any vehicle but it wold be very cool if you cold walk up to a little box and use scroll menu to open and close the bridge..

So my question to you guys Is it possible to throw in a bit of magic to get this to open and close?
I have very little
Any help on this wold be Awsome and much appreciated!

This Bridge and other creations of ours can be tested at
Let's not talk about realism in a video game. because no matter how "real" a feature is, it can make the gameplay suffer, which should never be sacrificed in the name of realism... :ugeek:
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

Re: Bridge opening!

« Reply #1 posted: May 17, 2017, 02:28 AM »
So, I went on your server to grab the mission file to find out what the bridge is made out of... You guys are absolute nuts, Eden is lagging.
  • Offline morfen
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #2 posted: May 17, 2017, 09:29 AM »
So, I went on your server to grab the mission file to find out what the bridge is made out of... You guys are absolute nuts, Eden is lagging.

Yeah, I dont usually work with structures directly in the server mission file. I tend make/update them in a separate mission file, then transfer them over to the server mission..
This to avoid screwups.

But i dont experience mutch lag when working in the mission file Ither.
Let's not talk about realism in a video game. because no matter how "real" a feature is, it can make the gameplay suffer, which should never be sacrificed in the name of realism... :ugeek:
  • Offline morfen
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #3 posted: May 17, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Btw, Absolute nuts is a good thing rigt?  8)
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 posted: May 17, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Yeah, that's some crazy base building right there.

« Reply #5 posted: May 17, 2017, 10:21 PM »
For some reason I found out from Experience that Arma 3 does not like a bunch of pier objects in the water. This is why we don't run a Tanoa server as there is no place to build pre-built bases in Eden on the map except on top of the water. I tried using those same piers as my floor and just having the floor in the water and testing it out on the server it lagged. So, I don't understand the issues with those Piers which are made for this to lag Arma 3 like it does..
  • Offline hobart
  • First Blood

« Reply #6 posted: May 19, 2017, 06:17 AM »
AgentRev, do you know the scoop on the simple object thing? After the last update I"ve only found one item I can make a simple object and that was a skeleton. Things like H-barriers, canal walls etc. no longer have the opting in attributes in the editor, do you have any idea?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 posted: May 19, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Simple Object state is only useful to prevent objects from being moved or interacted with, in other words just to spawn a raw 3D model without any fancy stuff. Barriers and walls already meet these criteria in their normal state.
  • Offline morfen
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #8 posted: May 21, 2017, 01:30 PM »
For some reason I found out from Experience that Arma 3 does not like a bunch of pier objects in the water. This is why we don't run a Tanoa server as there is no place to build pre-built bases in Eden on the map except on top of the water. I tried using those same piers as my floor and just having the floor in the water and testing it out on the server it lagged. So, I don't understand the issues with those Piers which are made for this to lag Arma 3 like it does..

I have to disagree here. I'm using pier stuff all the time as platforms both in water and land and we have no lag issue on our server, tho most of the players have no issues either. NOTE And after updated to a x64bit server the lag was even less with a stable fps during game play in these areas. Give it a new try and test these out again.

We have made a Marine Base, A Oil Rig, 2 Bridges+ a Cave using these items and a heck loads of other items. First we experienced lag but that lag came from a "Grass Cutter" so i took that one away and poof no
 more lags.

Arma 3 is getting better and more stable after every update coming from Bohemia. Idk but i have been told many times not to use specific items because they cause lag or other issues. then i read the updates and its fixed along time ago.

And btw, There are a lot of space to build Custom bases on Tanoa. the only thing stopping us is our stubbornness and creativity. if you want to open up more areas to build on, just Hide some of the trees in jungle or forest with a "Game Logic" marker and put something like

"{ Deletecollection _x } forEach ((nearestObjects [getPos this , [], 10 ]) - ((getPos this ) nearObjects 10));"
in the Init..
 :)

« Reply #9 posted: May 21, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Yep it was 32bit I was having issues and I know it was more of a memory issue causing the lag. I will give it another try sometime later.