UAVs

UAVs

« posted: Jan 28, 2015, 03:06 AM »
In our server there seems to be a problem with people just buying a UAV and sitting inside a building and using the missiles to kill players while they sit at 2k ASL. Its more of a problem when there is only 3-4 people in the server. I have increased the prices of the armed UAVs but hasn't changed much.

Just curious what other servers are doing with UAVs?

They can be a great asset to a team when the server is full. Is there any way to disable the thermal in the armed UAVs or edit the default ammo? They seem impossible to find and shoot with AA.

Re: UAVs

« Reply #1 posted: Jan 28, 2015, 05:56 AM »
We have the UAVs priced quite high, but regardless the UAV doesn't really have much ammo to begin with.

I would suggest just buying a tigris and shooting it down since it is classified as an air vehicle and will appear on radar

« Reply #2 posted: Jan 29, 2015, 03:05 AM »
The biggest problem has been one player that has a lot of money in the bank buying UAV after UAV and we have a rearm point on the airfield so the ammo don't matter if he can land it safely. Seems to be a big server killer when one person is hiding with the UAV and bombing new spawns and making them leave the server.

Thought about limiting the altitude of the UAVs, removing thermal and so on wasn't sure if it was hard coded or able to be changed.
  • Offline micovery
  • Hardened

« Reply #3 posted: Jan 29, 2015, 03:49 AM »
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #4 posted: Jan 29, 2015, 06:38 AM »
I have completely removed the predator drones and made the UAV quadcopters a random high end mission reward from certain harder missions.

I have some players that ONLY go for the high value missions to try get the drones as they give thermal over-watch and invaluable to their teammates.

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #5 posted: Jan 30, 2015, 07:02 AM »
I've priced UAVs, thermal optics, suppressors and other strongly advantageous weapons at 10x the regular store price.  They spawn only very, very rarely in research and military buildings.

Also, my regulars only attack large groups or other regular players.  We are trying to build a community of worthwhile players, not pound new players into the dust to make ourselves feel tough.

I came to Arma after spending more than 10 years playing Quakeworld, the most one-sided game in history.  That game died because the skill and knowledge barrier to entry for new players was just too damn high.

Encouraging new players, building community and camaraderie is more important than getting cheap kills.  I'd consider talking to your UAV abuser and if they won't change their behaviour, then ban them for the good of your community.

You're the server admin, you get to decide what kind of experience you offer to people.

« Reply #6 posted: Feb 25, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Here is how you can modify the UAV's default loadout.

https://github.com/A3Armory/ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis/blob/81a9bd8fc39d8def901a115c9e3a0220f7bcd6f6/server/functions/spawnStoreObject.sqf#L243-L247

If you have a resupply script to rearm vehicles, you will also need to modify that like here:

https://github.com/A3Armory/ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis/blob/fa1ad16225a9bed1de2258623780a393709074a9/addons/scripts/fn_resupplytruck.sqf#L307-L314

I know this is an old topic but this did not seem to work for me. They still get 6 after resupply. Any ideas?
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 posted: Feb 26, 2015, 09:41 AM »
I know this is an old topic but this did not seem to work for me. They still get 6 after resupply. Any ideas?
You will need to remove all AMMO trucks and heli's so they can not restock ammo. Then you will need to add a resupply truck which uses this script.

« Reply #8 posted: Feb 26, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Got it....Thanks.

« Reply #9 posted: May 29, 2015, 03:32 AM »
We had the same problem with default pricing....so it supply vs demand.....one our server uav's are expensive.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #10 posted: May 29, 2015, 08:03 AM »
We had the same problem with default pricing....so it supply vs demand.....one our server uav's are expensive.

I've disabled Thermals on UAVs , Titan and Laser Designators. Made a massive difference.

https://github.com/CRE4MPIE/ArmA3_Wasteland_1.1e.Stratis/blob/master/addons/disableThermal/disableThermal.sqf

« Reply #11 posted: Jul 22, 2015, 11:01 PM »
CP, do you have a current link?
  • Online AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 posted: Jul 22, 2015, 11:24 PM »
Code: [Select]
// disableThermal.sqf
// by CRE4MPIE
// ver 0.3
// 2015-04-29 11:44pm
// contributions from BIStudio Forums, edited by CRE4MPIE, optimized by AgentRev

#define LAYER 85125

_launchers = ["launch_I_Titan_short_F", "launch_O_Titan_short_F", "launch_B_Titan_short_F", "launch_Titan_short_F", "launch_Titan_F", "launch_O_Titan_F", "launch_I_Titan_F", "launch_B_Titan_F", "Laserdesignator"];
_vehicles = ["B_HMG_01_high_F", "B_static_AA_F", "B_static_AT_F", "B_GMG_01_F"];

while {true} do
{
waitUntil {sleep 0.1; currentVisionMode player == 2}; // check for TI Mode

_currWep = currentWeapon player;
_currVeh = vehicle player;

if (dayTime > 4 && dayTime < 20 && {{_currWep == _x} count _launchers > 0 || {_currVeh isKindOf _x} count _vehicles > 0}) then
{
LAYER cutText ["Thermal Imaging OFFLINE", "BLACK", -1];
playSound "FD_CP_Not_Clear_F";
waitUntil {sleep 0.1; currentVisionMode player != 2};
LAYER cutText ["", "PLAIN"];
}
else
{
if (alive getConnectedUAV player) then
{
LAYER cutText ["Thermal Imaging OFFLINE while connected to UAV", "BLACK", -1];
};
};
};

I improved the code a bit, it was chaotic.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #13 posted: Jul 23, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Code: [Select]
// disableThermal.sqf
// by CRE4MPIE
// ver 0.3
// 2015-04-29 11:44pm
// contributions from BIStudio Forums, edited by CRE4MPIE, optimized by AgentRev

#define LAYER 85125

_launchers = ["launch_I_Titan_short_F", "launch_O_Titan_short_F", "launch_B_Titan_short_F", "launch_Titan_short_F", "launch_Titan_F", "launch_O_Titan_F", "launch_I_Titan_F", "launch_B_Titan_F", "Laserdesignator"];
_vehicles = ["B_HMG_01_high_F", "B_static_AA_F", "B_static_AT_F", "B_GMG_01_F"];

while {true} do
{
waitUntil {sleep 0.1; currentVisionMode player == 2}; // check for TI Mode

_currWep = currentWeapon player;
_currVeh = vehicle player;

if (dayTime > 4 && dayTime < 20 && {{_currWep == _x} count _launchers > 0 || {_currVeh isKindOf _x} count _vehicles > 0}) then
{
LAYER cutText ["Thermal Imaging OFFLINE", "BLACK", -1];
}
else
{
if (alive getConnectedUAV player) then
{
LAYER cutText ["Thermal Imaging OFFLINE while connected to UAV", "BLACK", -1];
};
};
};

I improved the code a bit, it was chaotic.

Thanks AgentRev :)

One thing to add here - You can see from the above I've enabled thermals at night, as the Titan MPRL and Titan Compact has no NVG mode. I thought it would be fun to restrict thermals to certain times at night only. 8pm -> 4am.

With the day/night cycle being fairly quick on my server 2 hours / 30mins or something , it gives players a short period in which to use the overpowered tool  :)

• Offline hobart
  • First Blood

« Reply #14 posted: Feb 01, 2016, 07:26 AM »
I know this is an old topic, but I was wondering how would one go about disabling all thermal including vehicle thermal and scopes until those certain hours of night?