Multiple Server with different Maps share same EXTDB

Multiple Server with different Maps share same EXTDB

« posted: Aug 13, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

i wanna setup 3 Servers at all:

#1 Altis A3Wasteland
#2 Chernarus A3Wasteland
#3 Stratis A3Wasteland

I want to share with all 3 Servers same Database for Money and Inventory sync between the Players.

Can somebody give me a hint how i can do this ?

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

Re: Multiple Server with different Maps share same EXTDB

« Reply #1 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Inventory is not shared between maps, but bank money is. There is no special setup required, just use the same database for all.

« Reply #2 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Hi AgentRev,

thank you - i wanna share bankmoney and inventory between all servers. Any possibility to build this to an "real" Hive?
Inventory is not shared between maps, but bank money is. There is no special setup required, just use the same database for all.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Back when the database structure was being built, I did a brainstorm with a couple server admins to analyze the viability of having a common inventory across all maps. We concluded that it was not desirable, because it has very little purpose besides combat logging, e.g. switching to a less populated server to regear then jump back on the popular one to rek n00bs.

In another possible scenario, a player switches map, gets killed by enemies close to his spawn position, loses all gear across the hive, and therefore is pissed because he has to start over. Well, this is a risk even with map-specific inventory, but if I was that guy I would prefer to still have my gear on other maps.

We also couldn't agree on how to handle player position saving, i.e. would positions be saved and restored separately for each map, or does the position reset on each map switch and the player needs to choose a new spawn point (with existing gear)?

It would have also placed an additional burden in terms of coding, because some wanted inventory to be map-specific, others wanted it global. This would have been quite a hassle to juggle with, therefore the concept was discarded.

The idea may seem nice on paper, but when you start thinking about the details, the whole ordeal becomes quite retarded. Hope this answers your question.

tl;dr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

« Reply #4 posted: Aug 14, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Hi AgentRev,

thank you for this impressive long answer for my question. Did thought about this and also agree with your topics. It would never be possible to keep all Ideas in an 100% solid concept.But well i try the existing options to share Bank Account across all Servers but keep the gear as it is.

Regards & Happy Weekend
Hellangel

Back when the database structure was being built, I did a brainstorm with a couple server admins to analyse the viability of having a common inventory across all maps. We concluded that it was not desirable, because it has very little purpose besides combat logging, e.g. switching to a less populated server to regear then jump back on the popular one to rek n00bs.

In another possible scenario, a player switches map, gets killed by enemies close to his spawn position, loses all gear across the hive, and therefore is pissed because he has to start over. Well, this is a risk even with map-specific inventory, but if I was that guy I would prefer to still have my gear on other maps.

We also couldn't agree on how to handle player position saving, i.e. would positions be saved and restored separately for each map, or does the position reset on each map switch and the player needs to choose a new spawn point (with existing gear)?

It would have also placed an additional burden in terms of coding, because some wanted inventory to be map-specific, others wanted it global. This would have been quite a hassle to juggle with, therefore the concept was discarded.

The idea may seem nice on paper, but when you start thinking about the details, the whole ordeal becomes quite retarded. Hope this answers your question.

tl;dr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14