High Value Target script

• Offline soulkobk
  • First Blood
  • soulkobk.blogspot.com.au

Re: High Value Target script

« Reply #15 posted: Jul 04, 2016, 05:57 AM »
no. just, no. you never delete the player save on disconnect unless the player is dead/injured. you do not penalize a player because of a game crash / connection loss / power outage, ever. This is why I don't do that with combat logging. Breaking Point did this and it was absolutely terrible and unreliable.

With combat logging, especially as a HVT, 9 out of 10 times it's a user decision to log out rather than 'connection loss/game crash/power outage' (at least in my experiences over the last ~year playing A3Wasteland).

If you note within my script, you can #define whether to punish or not... and I've also added in a define to disable the abort and respawn button in the pause menu if you are marked as a HVT to prevent logging out.

If the abort/respawn buttons are disabled in the pause menu, there 'can be' a slight delay in disabling them, which may allow a user to still log out. If they still decide to log out and 'punish' is enabled, it will remove their player data, hence they become a 'fresh spawn' when logging back in (losing all gear/carried money/items/etc, banked money is unaffected). If punish is disabled, then there is no punishment. Also, if server logging is enabled, the .rpt log file will show if a user has logged out as a HVT whether punished or not.

It's entirely up to the server owner(s)/admin(s) to decide whether to enable or disable the punishment (or disabling abort/respawn buttons), dependent on if logging out as a HVT is an issue on their server. I just enabled choice.

-soul.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

Re: High Value Target script

« Reply #16 posted: Jul 04, 2016, 11:44 AM »
9 out of 10 times it's a user decision to log out rather than 'connection loss/game crash/power outage'

Always give the benefit of the doubt. I do not agree to unjustly punish innocent players even if they are just 5% of the cases. You need 100% certainty before carrying out a disciplinary measure.

It's entirely up to the server owner(s)/admin(s)

I always think about players before admins. Always. There was abuse in the past. This is why I added admin action chat broadcasts to non-admin players, and that I actively suppress threads explaining how to disable that. I want the players to know what kind of admins they are dealing with. Also, I'm not gonna give an option to an admin if I think it's stupid.

I am perfectly okay with blocking the buttons, but not deleting saves.

(just a disclaimer: don't take it personally, it's just a particular stance on which I am very polarized)