Getting very bad server lag and desync but running on good dedi.

I am getting very bad server lag and desync when my server starts get to 70 players and sometimes crashes.

My dedi specs: -

Processor   Intel Xeon W3520
Cores/Threads   4 cores/ 8 threads
Frequency   2.66 GHz+
RAM   32GB DDR3 ECC
Disks   2 x 2 TB SATA
RAID   Soft
Network connection   1 Gbps
Bandwidth   250 Mbps
Traffic   Unlimited

Hosted with OVH
  • Offline Magic
  • First Blood

Re: Getting very bad server lag and desync but running on good dedi.

« Reply #1 posted: Jun 06, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Yeah I just moved from 50 to 70 slots and I have exactly the same problem.

At 50 players or less, the server is rock solid, I can pretty much maintain a steady 50-60 client FPS, with the server FPS averaging just ver 40 which is excellent, no lag spikes, no desync.

As soon as we go 55+ players the server goes to absolute rat shit. FPS is all over the place, big desync spikes, blocks of 10 or more players kicked by battle eye for not responding, it's unplayable and I can't work out why.

The mission file is not overly extravagant, it have been trimmed and optimised as much as possible for performance. We have AI missions limited to a max of 3 simultaneously, and out of those 3 there can only be 1 of them with mobile AI. We don't have any silly non vanilla patrol missions and custom buildings are very modestly done. The net code has been tuned to dwardens specifications and the server has a 1gbps connection and e3 processor. We use the latest perf binaries too.

Like I said, 50 players or under = rock solid stable performance

Over 50 players = dog shit server.

« Reply #2 posted: Jun 06, 2016, 05:23 PM »
yeah same for us
  • Offline Magic
  • First Blood

« Reply #3 posted: Jun 06, 2016, 07:04 PM »
What have you based your mission file on?
  • Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

« Reply #4 posted: Jun 06, 2016, 08:55 PM »
have you adjusted your power save settings on the dedi box ?, what frequency does your box actually run at ?
  • Offline Magic
  • First Blood

« Reply #5 posted: Jun 06, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Matt, am i right in thinking that the CCG server uses quite a lot of LouDs mission with the drugs, custom buildings, stratis patrol, drugsrunners, HvD and all that? I don't know if it was just LouD or who else came up with most of the stuff, i just know most of that was in LouDs mission a while back so forgive me i have done anyone a dis-service. I started out with a lot of LouDs mission on my server, but have slowly trimmed more and more things back to try and get the performance purring.

I can't quite work out how you manage to have all that extra stuff going on with all those addons and additions and i still get a fairly stable client 30 fps on your server with 70 players on and no massive desyncs that i have seen.  I have got a tiny fraction of the additions and extras and it runs rock solid under 50 players, but it seems that 50 players is the tipping point for things to go belly up. I have no idea if it is processing power related or network related. Defused is going to hook me up with a dedicated E3 server this week, but there is no point making that leap if the issue is mission or arma or wasteland code related :s

Is there anything that you did specifically to try and keep things more stable in terms of the mission file itself?  Would you have any ideas where i could start to try and optimise to try and nail this shit down please?

« Reply #6 posted: Jun 06, 2016, 09:41 PM »
The arma 3 dedicated server program only uses 36% of the CPU and 13% of the memory.
  • Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

« Reply #7 posted: Jun 07, 2016, 07:50 AM »
@magic

Funny enough yes I trimmed it down tbh I removed r3f 3.1 and went back to vanilla, removed cctv, HVD, hundreds of objects from the mission sqm and I am currently running at 1 day object and vehicle saving to keep control of volumes somewhat which I don't think is helped by the airdrop addon as everyone uses that.

Basically I'm running as close to vanilla as possible and keeping it bang up to date with Revs updates.

My box also runs at 3.7ghz.