Just An Idea

Re: Just An Idea

« Reply #15 posted: Oct 27, 2016, 11:02 PM »
you could do anything you want... Anything.

« Reply #16 posted: Nov 05, 2016, 07:50 AM »
I'll be honest, even if it makes me look like the bad guy.

1. Using custom bat files or exes is a huge security risk, and getting people to manually download them would be asking to much of the average player.

2. Even if you could get all the players to download some kind of custom bat/exe there would still need to be some kind of communication between Arma 3 Exe and the custom client exe. Since Arma 3 only allows extensions, no named pipes/sockets this would turn into quite a kludgy hack. Interprocess communication would already be ugly enough to solve a single problem like this as it is.

3. The mod approach maybe would work, but I have never built client side mods for Arma, so I can't say for sure what is possible. Unfortunately this still involves clients downloading a mod, which I think they would still be too lazy to do. Users are lazy and incompetent.

Realistic Solutions
The most ideal solution would be to allow client side mods to be pushed through the game automatically on connect to a server. This can only be accomplished by BIS.

Or a server side API method that allows one server to transfer a player to another server. This would obviously still involve a loading screen even if they did implement it. Still it can only be accomplished by BIS.

Post this suggestion to feedback.bistudio.com

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and I've even thought of it myself but I don't really see it getting solved in A3 Wasteland forums.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Http://www.Fractured-Gaming.com

« Reply #17 posted: Nov 05, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I have to agree with Centrifugal 100%

Finding a way to do it with a mod would be the best way, however it's probably not possible with just a mod, contacting BIS about it would be, most likely, the final approach.
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!

https://github.com/Fractured-Gaming-Official/Frac_v1.3.Stratis

« Reply #18 posted: Nov 07, 2016, 01:46 AM »
you guys are totally correct, I was not thinking either a bat or exe. As I had said in an earlier post, the script was just proof of concept. I know I cant build this as I don't know how to code. I was hoping that some bright coder that's part of the community would see some value in it and offer a few pointers on how it could be completed. BUT...

thanks anyway.

Morgue!

« Reply #19 posted: Aug 23, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I know this is an old thread made by me last year but i have found something interesting in another mod blog.

Some guy called KillzoneKid created this
Code: [Select]
#include "\A3\Ui_f\hpp\defineResincl.inc"

if (
  isServer
  ||
  !(
  isRemoteExecuted
  &&
  remoteExecutedOwner isEqualTo 2
  )
)
exitWith {diag_log "Must be remote executed from dedicated server"};

params
[
  ["_IP", "127.0.0.1"],
  ["_PORT", "2302"],
  ["_PASS", ""],
  ["_TIMEOUT", 30]
];

_this resize 0;

onEachFrame format [
"
  private _allDisplays = allDisplays select
  [
  allDisplays find findDisplay %5,
  count allDisplays
  ];
  reverse _allDisplays;
  {_x closeDisplay %4} forEach _allDisplays;

onEachFrame
  {
  findDisplay %6 closeDisplay  %4;
  findDisplay %7 closeDisplay  %4;

onEachFrame
  {
  ctrlActivate (findDisplay %8 displayCtrl %9);

onEachFrame
  {
  private _ctrlServerAddress = findDisplay %10 displayCtrl 2300;
  _ctrlServerAddress controlsGroupCtrl %11 ctrlSetText ""%1"";
  _ctrlServerAddress controlsGroupCtrl %12 ctrlSetText ""%2"";
  ctrlActivate (_ctrlServerAddress controlsGroupCtrl %14);

onEachFrame
  {
  findDisplay %8 displayCtrl %13 lbData 0 call
  {
  if (diag_tickTime > %18) then
  {
  diag_log ""RCTS Timeout (no server)"";
  onEachFrame {};
  };

if (_this isEqualTo ""%1:%2"") then
  {
  findDisplay %8 displayCtrl %13 lbSetCurSel 0;

onEachFrame
  {
  ctrlActivate (findDisplay %8 displayCtrl %15);

onEachFrame
  {
  if (diag_tickTime > %18) then
  {
  diag_log ""RCTS Timeout (cannot join)"";
  onEachFrame {};
  };

if (!isNull findDisplay %16) then
  {
  private _ctrlPassword = findDisplay %16 displayCtrl %17;
  _ctrlPassword ctrlSetTextColor [0,0,0,0];
  _ctrlPassword ctrlSetText ""%3"";
  ctrlActivate (findDisplay %16 displayCtrl %14);
  };

if (getClientStateNumber >= 3) then
  {
  diag_log ""RCTS Success"";
  onEachFrame {};
  };
  };
  };
  };
  };
  };
  };
  };
  };
", _IP, _PORT, _PASS, IDC_CANCEL, IDD_MISSION, IDD_DEBRIEFING, IDD_MP_SETUP, IDD_MULTIPLAYER,
IDC_MULTI_TAB_DIRECT_CONNECT, IDD_IP_ADDRESS, IDC_IP_ADDRESS, IDC_IP_PORT, IDC_MULTI_SESSIONS,
IDC_OK, IDC_MULTI_JOIN, IDD_PASSWORD, IDC_PASSWORD, diag_tickTime + _TIMEOUT];

this is what was written about this
For those of you who understand scripting, you know what I'm about to say. For the rest of you try to keep up:
This piece of code written by KillzoneKid and the folks at BI provides us with a way to link world/maps between servers. LegoDev has been working on the Idea to travel between Servers since he started working on the Database, but did not want to publicly announce this feature because people would not believe that thiis is possible. Now that KillzoneKid released his solution we decided to release what Lego was working on. The initial way Legodev tried to implement the traveling between Servers was using an custom Launcher that communicates with the Server to get where the players should join, but now this will allow us to provide the ability in game without restarting ArmA.

We hope that when completed, players will be able to move to the edge of the map they have started on, and cross over into the next adjacent terrain. If you are on Chernarus and head east in your boat, eventually you could end up in Tanoa, or Isla Dualla, or Panthera. Head north, welcome to Esseker...
Heading in the same direction you were when you left Chernarus, in the same uniform, with the same gear, health, vehicle, stats, etc. Want to go back?, simply turn around and walk back to Chernarus. Or Fly, or drive. This appears to be limited only in the available resources for servers to link, as each world is it's own server, but linked with the central database.

As you see in the database, the worlds now have a latitude, longitude as well as server ip, port ... These information's will be used to calculate what Map you are heading to, so every server farm can be different, depending on what the owner did setup in the database, there could even be several variations of Chernarus if you want.

I guess this would be neat if you could switch between Servers/ maps.

heres the source from where this was taken http://desolationredux.com/forums/threads/desolationredux-devblog-31.711/
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #20 posted: Aug 23, 2017, 06:29 PM »
While that bit of code is interesting, the technical challenge it involves is grossly underestimated, more particularly the database aspect. Can you imagine trying to migrate a flying helicopter with passengers and a sling load across servers? I would rather try shoving a spiked mace up my butt. Landing humans on Mars is probably easier.

Additionally, the overall benefit would be way too low to justify investing an insane amount of time in it.