Confusion regarding github commits

Confusion regarding github commits

« posted: May 17, 2017, 11:44 AM »
In the v1.3c - Jets DLC commit, click the View button at the top right corner of mission.sqm diff block to view the whole mission.sqm file at that commit. You'll find the file only has around 5900 lines. And you can't find the entry of the carrier.

However, If you do the same in the Added territory and ATM on aircraft carrier commit (the commit directly after the v1.3c commit when it comes to mission.sqm), you'll find the file has around 9800 lines. And the entry of the carrier is there.

So it seems to me that there is a ghost commit between these two commits that adds another 3900+ lines to the file.

Re: Confusion regarding github commits

« Reply #1 posted: May 17, 2017, 09:29 PM »
Because one is Altis and the other one is Stratis? Different mission files...

« Reply #2 posted: May 18, 2017, 02:35 AM »
I screwed up the first link. Now it has been corrected. The problem remains.

« Reply #3 posted: May 18, 2017, 03:30 AM »
The commits will always show you a difference in the files, this is how github is. All you need to do is download the A3W release files then go through each commit and replace whatever file you need. I understand what exactly you are saying as in one commit AgenRev updated the spawnStoreObject.sqf then later he updates it again which shows a different code. But this is how github shows commits as its keeps archived items in the "cloud" somewhere. This is why you are seeing the same file with two different things.

So the only way to see what has actually been updated is do what I do:

I download the A3W Altis DEV for example. Then I go to the commits section. I start where I left off before and I look for this instead of what exactly was changed: client/systems/vehicleStore/populateVehicleStore.sqf...Yes I do look a the changes inside the file like here: https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis/commit/f798035731587510a057ac20a3a158e1d61535fd
From there I copy and replace each file I need to replace unless I have custom code inside a file. This is the first thing I look at. There may be times for example lets say Tuesday AgentRev makes a commit that we see then on Wednesday he makes another commit to the same file. Github gives us the ability to see the changes. So that is why you are seeing two different things to the same file even though its not actually the file you are looking at. You are looking at a "cloud" or archive copy which is the only way I can explain. Now, whenever for example I copy and replace my files I keep not in mind on what I replaced. If I see it again then there is no need to change it since I am using an updated copy of the Dev already. But there are times when I do download the Dev then right after I download it AgentRev actually makes a change. This has happened twice so far but its not often it happens.

Does this help and explain things better? I don't use pull request because we have a lot of edited or custom stuff we use on our Wasteland servers. I don't know if what AgentRev updates will append or edit out our custom code. So I just compare files, copy and replace when needed.

I know I might have said things twice but I was trying to explain it in detail for you. Sorry..

« Reply #4 posted: May 18, 2017, 05:04 AM »
I don't understand. If you download Altis DEV as a zip file, how is it possible for you to see what changes AgentRev did in a specific commit? The zip file doesn't contain version history at all. It only contains the newest states of every file.

The commit history page lists all the changes that have been made to the project files.

I opened every commit link in that page one by one, from older ones to newer ones, and sifted through each diff block in it. But I failed to find in which commit AgentRev added the carrier into mission.sqm.

I want to find the commit where he added the carrier code because I want to add a carrier in my Altis mission and a Chernarus mission I made.
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #5 posted: May 19, 2017, 11:09 PM »
yes you can click the button with the hash for the commit to see the changes at: https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Stratis/commits/dev
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 posted: May 20, 2017, 05:25 PM »
The carrier was added to Stratis in this particular commit: https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Stratis/commit/7d346d802824e0ec4f13a3b7473c2bdfe346b69f#diff-f2265d99ce277e6133bff859ea54974e

If you look in the description it says "Conflicts: mission.sqm", this is part of the standard procedure when merging Altis to Stratis, what I did is directly replace the conflicted file with the custom version I tweaked from Eden.

I don't understand why you were looking for this, if you want to add the carrier to another mission you just need to load the latest Stratis SQM in Eden, copy the carrier and its props, then open your other mission and paste. Make sure "Toggle Vertical Mode" is flat, otherwise the paste will be messed up.

« Reply #7 posted: May 20, 2017, 08:51 PM »
The carrier was added to Stratis in this particular commit: https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Stratis/commit/7d346d802824e0ec4f13a3b7473c2bdfe346b69f#diff-f2265d99ce277e6133bff859ea54974e

If you look in the description it says "Conflicts: mission.sqm", this is part of the standard procedure when merging Altis to Stratis, what I did is directly replace the conflicted file with the custom version I tweaked from Eden.

I don't understand why you were looking for this, if you want to add the carrier to another mission you just need to load the latest Stratis SQM in Eden, copy the carrier and its props, then open your other mission and paste. Make sure "Toggle Vertical Mode" is flat, otherwise the paste will be messed up.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know solved conflicts were indicated in the merge commit itself. I thought they were included in the commits that have been merged.

« Reply #8 posted: May 21, 2017, 09:31 PM »

This is not about the carrier but about copying and pasting. Does this only work if you copy, close down Eden, open up Eden again, then paste? I can normally open 2 instances of Eden but cannot copy and pasts between the two...
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 posted: May 21, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Open mission 1, make sure you are in map mode (2D), select the stuff, copy, press Ctrl+O, open mission 2, make sure "Toggle Vertical Mode" is flat, then paste.

« Reply #10 posted: May 22, 2017, 06:47 PM »
I understand this AgentRev but BIS is limiting copying and pasting or its a bug if there are 2 instances of Eden open a the same time. If you attempt to copy between the 2 instances it does not work. It only works like you mentioned above. Sometimes I like to compare between two maps whenever I am looking at mission markers mainly on Griffin's Tanoa where he had 60+ missions. So I open 2 instances to compare things.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 posted: May 22, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Yeah well that's a very highly unusual way to do things. They're not "limiting" anything, it's probably just not even implemented or something. Multiple instances don't share memory, and the copy function doesn't use the actual Windows clipboard, and it would be pretty whack if it did.