strange server behavior

strange server behavior

« posted: Apr 17, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Our server has been running smoothly for several days with a maintenance reboot overnight (Several more when I am playing with files) Each day bases, vehicles and player info persisted with no issues...until yesterday..all objects, vehicles, player inventory and ATM money were gone! also, we could not log in as admins.
Later in the evening something very strange...... I remember checking and there were 3 of us on the same group. I then was kicked (for what I thought was too many login attempts, but now I am unsure). shortly after that my squad mate asked if that was me hovering over our base in my chopper..no....I said, there are only the 2 of you in there according to the lobby and noone had time to join, buy a chopper and fly over to our base in the time that i left...he insisted that not only was there a 3rd player, but the player was in our squad and flying the same chopper that I was....he took a screeny of the player list and posted it, sure enough..there was a phantom player on our server somehow...

We did a reinstall o fh eserver and dropped the files back and everything seemed to go back to normal, including admin rights. Although later on, with two of us on,  another t'mate thought he caught a glimpse of a player near his striker but when he looked back, there was nothing...

I havent yet ruled out that our server is haunted, but before I draw that conclusion...is it possible we were hacked...if so, with what..and how do we prevent it from happening again?

...before anyone asks...server info persisted over at least  3 reboots from the time of the last edit to when the info was cleared...

Re: strange server behavior

« Reply #1 posted: Apr 17, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Another admin trolling with you ? Its weird how an hacker can change your passwords and delete your database without access to the server files / database

« Reply #2 posted: Apr 17, 2015, 10:08 PM »
No there are 3 of us, 2 of us were in server and the 3rd was at work. I am thinking this, for the first part at least

http://forums.a3wasteland.com/index.php?topic=1217.0

What files would I need to back up if i wanted to back up the stuff like bases, locked items (crates, etc), money, etc?

« Reply #3 posted: Apr 18, 2015, 04:04 AM »
Your SQL database if you have extDB