Baning Thermal Optics

Baning Thermal Optics

« posted: Apr 26, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Hello, im attempting to ban thermal optics from my server, i have to remove it from storeConfig.sqf and fn_refillbox.sqf right ? anything else ?

Re: Baning Thermal Optics

« Reply #1 posted: Apr 26, 2015, 09:25 AM »
If you have buildingloot on there is an entry for the nightstalker in LSlootlist.sqf
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #2 posted: Apr 26, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I've been kinda looking at various options here  - you would need to create custom cfgWeapons to still have the weapons ingame, but just remove the thermal viewmodes ...

It's doable , but requires some brainmatter which I am lacking this week :P

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #3 posted: Apr 26, 2015, 07:16 PM »
If you have buildingloot on there is an entry for the nightstalker in LSlootlist.sqf

tank you, i thought that the tws was the only one with thermal, nightstalker have thermal too, damnt haha

« Reply #4 posted: Apr 26, 2015, 08:25 PM »
 Also remember Titan Launchers have thermal options on sights ;)

Laser Designators also have thermal if I remember correctly.

When banning all night vision from my server I found this 'auto remove" script for NV goggles. Perhaps you can modify it by changing the class name, and side name to auto remove all equipment as you see fit.

I used this in a trigger specifically activated by anybody with enough radius to blanket the map. Worked perfectly :)

Good luck, hope this helps.

sleep 1;

{
   if(side _x == east) then {
       _x unassignItem "NVGoggles";
       _x removeItem "NVGoggles";
   };
} foreach (allUnits);
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Https://Fractured-Gaming.com

« Reply #5 posted: Apr 27, 2015, 01:27 AM »
Thermals are crazy, however I found a nice way to balance it... simply make them mission item only and it balances out well.
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!

« Reply #6 posted: Apr 27, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Thermals are crazy, however I found a nice way to balance it... simply make them mission item only and it balances out well.

Do you mean you include thermals only in mission loot?  Or do you mean you only give thermals to the mission AI?

...because the second one is awesome.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #7 posted: Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Either , or. I just added them to mission crates and quoted them out of the store. They still exist but they are not on every Frickin player on the server.

I've tried the price inflation on it. It's amazing how much people will pay for a NS or a TWS.

Putting them in missions made the flow of combat chaotic on our server, it was a great change and now I don't have to worry about prices on them for balance which means less mission downloads.

Just remember if you quote them out, make sure your last item that isn't quotes out in the array does NOT have a comma.

« Reply #8 posted: Apr 27, 2015, 12:54 PM »

Think i have to do that too, also tried raising the price but as you said =)

« Reply #9 posted: Apr 28, 2015, 12:33 AM »
IMO thermals create lazy gameplay, shorter firefights and more unhappy gamers.

I've left the laser designator and the Titan launchers in the store and I've cranked the cost of thermal scopes up to the sky but even this isn't enough, as you say, people will pay anything.  Smart players hang around 'Research' buildings in the hope of finding a lootspawned Nightstalker

I reckon everyone needs to have thermal weapons or no one.  Once a decent player gets hold of a 7.62 and a Nightstalker it creates imbalance in a small population server.  The people they kill feel ripped off and the number of ragequits goes right up.

I think the prevalence of glass itself is a bit of an issue.  I've had my best firefights inside 200m using iron sights.  When you can't just point-and-click kill the enemy, small squad tactics like suppression fire and movement become useful and fun.  Way more fun than suddenly dying before you hear the shot from a threat you didn't know was there.

The scopes all have their uses but in Wasteland everyone suspects they're the next Chris Kyle and thermal scopes help them believe it.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #10 posted: Apr 28, 2015, 02:10 AM »
I can agree and disagree.

Thermals are overpowered however they help New players get ahead.

Now moving them to missions only did a great thing. Players actually do missions now.  Which then cause combat to be everywhere rather than just gunnstores. What that also did was give players the effect of, "Sweet! This guy has a nightstalker." And in teamspeak, made my guys say things like "I'm down! ****! Somebody get to my body! I have a nightstalker, don't let them get my night stalker!."

Plus with the new DLC ghillies it's harder to spot with thermals. So now there is a fighting chance.

When you simply take them out people say,"let's go to X server since this server doesn't have these items."

I've been through it all with my community, no matter what I did people raged at the changes other than mission only OP items. such as TWS, Nightstalker, Body Armor, Helmets, etc...

Now that they are mission only it seems it's balanced.

The other thing a lot of servers look over in survival style games/gametypes is the Risk vs. Reward factor. Removing items don't reward players and involves no risk. Which means no rise in playing. No heartbeat flutter when doing something, no adrenaline rush. Meaning BORING! Players love the rise of risk vs reward. Prime example, DayZ.

Even though the item may seen overpowered, players know it's there. Removing it doesn't help anything Other than remove it.

Also, you can't tend to every crybaby on a server... it's pointless. 1/2 of your pop loves NS the other 1/2 hate them.

Still doesn't change the fact they are over powered, but you can limit players from buying them every time the Respawn which makes gameplay much better and you feel good snatching a nightstalker off of a dead body now.

At least that's my theory.

« Reply #11 posted: Apr 28, 2015, 03:32 AM »
You've convinced me.   :D

I will add them to the missions and remove them from the stores.  Will also make them a very, very rare spawn in the Research buildings.

in teamspeak, made my guys say things like "I'm down! ****! Somebody get to my body! I have a nightstalker, don't let them get my night stalker!."

Haha!  So true.  The only time my squad gets really nervous is when someone goes down carrying a nightstalker.  We lost two forward guys to an ambush and the other two of us camped at Maxwell sniping the people trying to loot their bodies at Agios Ioannis.  It was a bad position for us to be in but we wouldn't abandon our mates bodies 'cause it meant giving a nightstalker to the enemy.

Any thoughts on the prevalence of launchers?  It seems to me they are under-priced.  Everyone walks around with a launcher and a huge pack of rockets so the average heli only last about 4 minutes on Stratis before it's blown out of the sky.  Was thinking of raising the cost of all guided launchers to $5-6K and reducing the number of launchers in mission crates.

• Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #12 posted: Apr 28, 2015, 03:46 AM »
Launchers have been tricky. Depending on your start cash .   I inflated mine a little. HE rockets are about to cost more than AT.  So many rocket spammers.

I thought about moving them to mission only, then I said, nah. If I did that gun stores would be wailed by helos all day.

So:
Increase prices
Change starting backpack to something smaller if you use a Big bag.

That's about all you can do.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #13 posted: Apr 28, 2015, 08:07 PM »
Here's a fix for the thermals on your server ...

This will remove ALL thermals from your server for ALL vehicles and optics that use TI.

init.sqf
Code: [Select]
[] execVM "addons\disableThermal\disablethermal.sqf";  //disable thermal vision
addons\disableThermal\disablThermal.sqf
_layer = 85125;

while {true} do
{
    if (currentVisionMode player == 2) then
        {
              //hint "Thermals are active";
            _layer    cutText ["Thermal Imaging currently OFFLINE!.","BLACK",-1];
playSound "FD_CP_Not_Clear_F";
            waituntil {currentVisionMode player != 2};
            _layer cutText ["", "PLAIN"];
        };
        sleep 1;

Feel free to have a look at my GIT for other cool stuff xD

https://github.com/CRE4MPIE/ArmA3_Wasteland_1.1d.Stratis

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #14 posted: Apr 28, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Here's a fix for the thermals on your server ...

This will remove ALL thermals from your server for ALL vehicles and optics that use TI.

init.sqf
[] execVM "addons\disableThermal\disablethermal.sqf";  //disable thermal vision
addons\disableThermal\disablThermal.sqf
_layer = 85125;

while {true} do
{
    if (currentVisionMode player == 2) then
        {
              //hint "Thermals are active";
            _layer    cutText ["Thermal Imaging currently OFFLINE!.","BLACK",-1];
playSound "FD_CP_Not_Clear_F";
            waituntil {currentVisionMode player != 2};
            _layer cutText ["", "PLAIN"];
        };
        sleep 1;

Feel free to have a look at my GIT for other cool stuff xD

https://github.com/CRE4MPIE/ArmA3_Wasteland_1.1d.Stratis

oh thx man you are a god !! Theres any way to only allow thermal for certain stuffs ? for exemple, allow termal for AT AA and stuffs that uses the UAV terminal ?