using other peoples "stuff"

using other peoples "stuff"

« posted: May 26, 2015, 06:11 PM »
So, a burning question...As a photographer irl, I understand copyright....so I in this software world, I understand the host game, Arma 3, belongs to BIS. But what about the mod itself, the Wasteland files, scripts and maps that others create?

So, what are the rules when using things that were created by others? Obviously, I am not a coder, so I am guilty of cherry picking on Git and customizing scripts for my server, but how far does this go? If I play on a server and like the map, can I upload this map onto my server to use? Can I change it? I would think that I would at least need the owners permission...yes/no?

Or is this all open source and if I can find it, I can use it? For example, if I found a base script in someones mission wanted to use it (and, hypothetically, was too lazy to build one myself)..could I just pick it and drop it into my server?

I would think at the very least, the honest and honorable thing to do would be to ask permissions and give credits...but maybe there are some out there who want to retain the rights to their creations.

Some guidance on protocols pls.

Re: using other peoples "stuff"

« Reply #1 posted: May 26, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I didn't fully read the "GNU Affero GPL v3." but as i understood it if its in a A3W mission you must share it with the community. I usually lend lines from here and there without asking, sometimes commenting the line with credits if i know where they come from but if i borrow large parts of scripts or whole scrips i usually ask as i think its proper manners.

Everyone can feel free to use "my shit" as its barely working (and usually just frankensteined stuff) and anyone with any coding experience would do a much better job ;), ofc credits are always nice if anyone find something useful.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #2 posted: May 26, 2015, 10:28 PM »
I share everything I do / implement / copy / plunder to try and make the best  and most fun a3w mission possible !

It's there for everyone to use and learn from !

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #3 posted: May 27, 2015, 01:54 AM »
lol, plunder ..Thats good to know. thanks!

« Reply #4 posted: May 27, 2015, 03:56 AM »
I share everything I do / implement / copy / plunder to try and make the best  and most fun a3w mission possible !

^^^^  THIS  ^^^^

I don't release every change / addition I do to the forum, but I post all to Github so others may learn, errr, plunder from me as I do unto others.

What will make or break a server is the quality of play that players find there.  So, decent hardware, clean running mission (don't let errors sit in your log if you can help it!), and fair/reasonable admins will keep players coming back.  Sometimes, it just takes getting lucky and enough players hitting your server at once to maintain critical mass. 
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: May 28, 2015, 03:19 PM »
I share everything I do / implement / copy / plunder to try and make the best and most fun a3w mission possible !

Same goes for me :)
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 posted: Jun 01, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I would think at the very least, the honest and honorable thing to do would be to ask permissions and give credits...but maybe there are some out there who want to retain the rights to their creations.

Some guidance on protocols pls.

If you are taking something from any A3Wasteland mission, or anything licensed under the GNU GPL v3, you do not have to ask permission to integrate it into your own A3W mission.

If you are taking something that is not licensed under the GNU GPL v3, you must ask for permission (if the original dev can still be reached), although I don't think many server owners actually do it.

If you are taking something from an A3W mission to integrate it into a non-A3W mission that is not licensed under the GNU GPL v3, you must ask for permission as well.