Server Setup

Server Setup

« posted: Dec 14, 2015, 04:46 AM »
Hi All,

I have not had much luck with forums or getting a basic response on how to setup certain things that i don't understand in with wasteland. a lot of posts have been helpful at setting up certain things, however i'm at a point were i cannot go further. so as a clan we have gotten to the point of either abandoning arma or paying someone to help setup the server how we would like it.

so if anyone is interested please PM me with how much if would cost us to setup the following.

Basic securing of the server
guide on how to keep it update and running
Improved Status Bar HUD - by CREAMPIE
Some more mp missions
The following purchasable via ingame shops

Objects
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26806
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19755

Veh
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28085
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25580
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27342

Thanks again
Sol

Re: Server Setup

« Reply #1 posted: Dec 18, 2015, 01:02 AM »
This was taken from my Mission A3Wasteland - Chernarus which used custom MOD files.
https://github.com/Motavar/ArmA3_Wasteland.Chernarus

You will need to download the mod files and put them into your Arma3 directory (same directory where your armaserver.exe is located)

The next big setup will be the MySQL setup (the database).   I've outlined some of the steps I use when creating my server.  To show you the process I've copied what was on my GitHub.  Your process may vary for whatever variant of A3Wasteland you are using.

I must give you a warning...   If you make a game with mods it's a bitch to get other players to download those mods.  But there is hope..  first quarter of 2016 they will update the server browser to detect servers, download mods from the workshop, and auto install/enable mods.  So there is hope for custom servers now.

WINDOWS INSTALLATION:

YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING TO RUN:

• Your MOD files
•DATABSE: MySQL community server v5.6 (Install MySql workbench during the install process)

•Torndeco's extDB2 (release v55+): https://github.com/Torndeco/extDB2/releases

DATABASE SETUP:
* you will need to download the "a3wasteland_db_v2.03.sql" from my GitHub or your A3wasteland mission

install mysql
 copy "a3wasteland_db_v2.03.sql" to your mysql bin directory (where your mysql.exe is located)
 example: C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin
 login to mysql

example:
 >>
 C:>cd "Program Files (x86)
 C:\Program Files (x86)>cd MySQL
 C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL>cd MySQL Server 5.6
 C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6>cd bin
 C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin>mysql -u root -p
 Enter password: your database password

Create the database:
 mysql> source a3wasteland_db_v2.03.sql
 exit out
 <<

A3WASTELAND SETTINGS SETUP:
* the a3wasteland settings are on my GitHub. But you can grab those from whatever mission you are using...

Copy the "A3Wasteland_settings" directory to the Arma directory (where you have your arma3.exe)
 This contains the mission settings stored in the "main_config.sqf"

INSTALL extDB2
 open extDB2-v55.rar file, go into the windows folder and extract the files to the Arma3 directory (where you have your arma3.exe)
 Switch over to your Arma 3 directory
 Go into the @extDB2 directory and edit extdb-config.ini file
 configure your passwords

Change the following:
 Version = 3
 to
 Version = 4

find the following
 >>
 [MySQL_Example]
 Type = MySQL
 Name = Database_Name

Username = root
 Password = password
 <<
 Change to:
 [A3W]
 Type = MySQL
 Name = a3wasteland
 Username = root
 Password = whatever your pw is for db

save the file and exit

SQL CUSTOM FOLDER SETUP:
 Copy the "sql_custom" directory to your Arma 3 @extDB2/extDB/ folder. Overwrite the folder that is in there

SERVER EXE SETUP:

Here is an example of how I setup my server start order.  Obviously you won't have RHS in your startup.. you'll have your own mods

Your Server Mod Startup Order:
 -mod=@RHSAFRF;@RHSUSAF;@ASDG_JR;@hlcmods;@AllInArmaTerrainPack

EXAMPLE SERVER STARTUP:
 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=c:\Arma3\A3Master" -config=server.cfg -world=empty -mod=@RHSAFRF;@RHSUSAF;@ASDG_JR;@hlcmods;@AllInArmaTerrainPack;@extDB2 -autoInit

A3Wasteland Settings Directory (changes for player HUD): In your A3wasteland settings directory add the following to your main_config.sqf

« Reply #2 posted: Dec 18, 2015, 01:05 AM »

If your server does become popular (lets say 65+ players) you will probably want to be on hardware that can support it.  I recommend a 4GHz server (2 CPU for the main game thread).  Then you probably want to enable the headless client on another set of CPU cores to offload some of the processing.

And of course you'll need the bandwidth.

But like anything.. the best thing to do is set this up on your home PC.   Get MySQL installed... get the game working on that first.

And not sure if this will help.. but setup an icon on your home pc desktop to run the server.  An example would be something like this:

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=d:\Arma3\A3Master" -config=server.cfg -world=empty -mod=@CBA_A3;@CUP_Units;@CUP_Vehicles;@CUP_Weapons;@extDB2 -autoInit -filePatching

« Reply #3 posted: Dec 18, 2015, 01:08 AM »
You also need a server.cfg in the same directory as your armaserver.exe

Here is an example

---------------------
//
// server.cfg
//

// STEAM
//steamport =8766;
//steamqueryport   =27016;

steamPort = 2302;
steamQueryPort = 2303;
reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";      // For Arma2: Operation Arrowhead

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "A3Wasteland Altis MODS:CUP+CBA (a3launcher.com)";
password = "";                  // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "yourpasswordhere";         // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
logFile = "server_console.log";            // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
   "", "", 
   "MOTD by [F]Motavar",
   "motavar@judgement.net", "", 
   ""
};
motdInterval = 5;               // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

allowedFilePatching = 1;

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};               // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 70;               // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 0;               // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 2;               // Verifies .pbos against .bisign files. Valid values 0 (disabled), 1 (prefer v2 sigs but accept v1 too) and 2 (only v2 sigs are allowed).
equalModRequired = 0;               // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.
//requiredBuild = 12345               // Require clients joining to have at least build 12345 of game, preventing obsolete clients to connect

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;               // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 0.33;               // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 0;                  // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 11;               // since 1.62.95417 supports range 1-20 //since 1.63.x will supports range 1-30 //8kHz is 0-10, 16kHz is 11-20, 32kHz is 21-30
persistent = 1;                  // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.
timeStampFormat = "short";            // Set the timestamp format used on each report line in server-side RPT file. Possible values are "none" (default),"short","full".
BattlEye = 1;                                           // Server to use BattlEye system

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";               //
onUserDisconnected = "";            //
doubleIdDetected = "";               //
//regularCheck = "{}";                                  //  Server checks files from time to time by hashing them and comparing the hash to the hash values of the clients. Causes heavy I/O, uncomment to disable feature - READ WARNING ABOVE - makes cheating possible!

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";      // unsigned data detected
onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)";         // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = "";               // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions {
        class ARMA3 {

template = "A3WastelandCUP.Altis";

//template = "ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis";
//template = "ArmA3_Wasteland.Chernarus_Summer";
//template = "ArmA3_Wasteland.Chernarus";
//template = "A3Wasteland_KOTGS.Altis";
//template = "ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis";
//template = "ArmA3_Wasteland.australia";
//template = "ArmA3_Wasteland.Porto";
//template = "aussy.australia";
                difficulty = "Veteran"; // Server difficulty Settings (Recruit, Regular, Veteran, Mercenary)
        };
};

« Reply #4 posted: Dec 18, 2015, 01:08 AM »
Not sure if this info helps but it's a start I guess.

« Reply #5 posted: Dec 18, 2015, 01:10 AM »

You probably want to go onto www.github.com and search for agentrev's A3Wasteland v1.2
Download that mission file and at least try to get that to work first with a data base.

Then you can decide if you want to put your own mods in. 

Personally I think it's a lot of work. Usually easier to play on someone else's server than to custom build something, host it, and then try to get players on, then try to manage it.

« Reply #6 posted: Feb 11, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Hello Motavar,

First I want to say, thank you for your excellent work and support in helping folks getting this set up.

That said, I can't seem to get it set up. I've followed every step to the letter, and even installed the version specific software that you mentioned, to ensure compatibility.

Where everything comes to a halt, is when loading the mission itself. I get "Mission A3Wasteland Chernarus v2.3 by Motavar read from directory."

If I set -autoInit, it goes for infinity. I've also tested the mysql server access and it's fine.

The only part in the instructions that seems a bit hazy to me, is this part:
 Copy the "sql_custom" directory to your Arma 3 @extDB2/extDB/ folder. Overwrite the folder that is in there

I only have a @extDB2 folder, no subfolder, nothing to overwrite, so I just copied the sql_custom folder to be a subfolder, i.e. arma 3 server\@extDB2\sql_custom.

Also to note, I'm ONLY wanting to use @allinarmaterrainpack, none of the RHS or other mods (except extDB of course). Will that be a problem?

« Reply #7 posted: Feb 11, 2016, 10:59 PM »
Hello Motavar,

First I want to say, thank you for your excellent work and support in helping folks getting this set up.

That said, I can't seem to get it set up. I've followed every step to the letter, and even installed the version specific software that you mentioned, to ensure compatibility.

Where everything comes to a halt, is when loading the mission itself. I get "Mission A3Wasteland Chernarus v2.3 by Motavar read from directory."

If I set -autoInit, it goes for infinity. I've also tested the mysql server access and it's fine.

The only part in the instructions that seems a bit hazy to me, is this part:

I only have a @extDB2 folder, no subfolder, nothing to overwrite, so I just copied the sql_custom folder to be a subfolder, i.e. arma 3 server\@extDB2\sql_custom.

Also to note, I'm ONLY wanting to use @allinarmaterrainpack, none of the RHS or other mods (except extDB of course). Will that be a problem?

Does it spam Read from Directory?

« Reply #8 posted: Feb 11, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Yes, if I set -autoInit for the startup bat.

« Reply #9 posted: Feb 12, 2016, 12:50 AM »
Yes, if I set -autoInit for the startup bat.

You have an error in your sqf files. Either that or you have the launcher line wrong.

« Reply #10 posted: Feb 12, 2016, 01:46 AM »
The only SQF files I have edited were those explicitly mentioned in the instructions, and only given the basic edits required - otherwise all of the SQF files are stock.

The launcher line is not the problem.

« Reply #11 posted: Feb 18, 2016, 04:02 AM »
So I figured it out via RPT log, that I need the HLC mod.

Is there a way to comment out dependencies on any other mod but AiA?

I'd like it to be A3 Vanilla + Chernarus via AiA. No RHS, no HLC, etc.