Activating the target lock-on for planes and helicopters?

Activating the target lock-on for planes and helicopters?

« posted: Dec 11, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Like the name of the topic says, i would like to know how, and of course if it is possible to make target lock-on for planes and helicopters work in A3Wasteland? I mean the planes and helicopters have AA weapons, but they are useless because its not possible to lock on targets.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

Re: Activating the target lock-on for planes and helicopters?

« Reply #1 posted: Dec 11, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Like the name of the topic says, i would like to know how, and of course if it is possible to make target lock-on for planes and helicopters work in A3Wasteland? I mean the planes and helicopters have AA weapons, but they are useless because its not possible to lock on targets.

Hi,

Perhaps go look at the tutorials and showcases in ARMA 3 =)  They will teach you everything you need to know.

To lock onto vehicles requires using the correct launcher or rocket system on a vehicle. You can then lock on a target by pressing T ( default ), wait for the solid tone to indicate a successful lock , and fire !

goodluck !

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #2 posted: Dec 11, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Ok. Maybe  i didnt say that clearly enouth. I know how to lock on targets and it works in Arma3 itself and in community missions like domination and so on. It only not working in A3Wasteland in planes and helicopters.
The Titan and NLAW launchers behave like they should, so i guess that the function has been disabled for planes and helicopters in the mod. Because even on the plane or helicopter radar all vehicles are shown as empty (gray symbols). If you play Arma3 then the radar symbols change to green (friendly), yellow (unknown), and red (hostile) when the target is recognized. In A3Wasteland they dont do that, they just stay gray.

And my controls are set properly, i'm able to lock on targets while flying a plane or helicopter in Arma3 as i mentioned above, but not in Wasteland
  • Offline Tasty
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #3 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 06:03 AM »
Ok. Maybe  i didnt say that clearly enouth. I know how to lock on targets and it works in Arma3 itself and in community missions like domination and so on. It only not working in A3Wasteland in planes and helicopters.
The Titan and NLAW launchers behave like they should, so i guess that the function has been disabled for planes and helicopters in the mod. Because even on the plane or helicopter radar all vehicles are shown as empty (gray symbols). If you play Arma3 then the radar symbols change to green (friendly), yellow (unknown), and red (hostile) when the target is recognized. In A3Wasteland they dont do that, they just stay gray.

And my controls are set properly, i'm able to lock on targets while flying a plane or helicopter in Arma3 as i mentioned above, but not in Wasteland

I've had similar issues and complaints from other players. Tested a bit on my server yesterday. The instance I used was the money mission while flying a Neophron. I had no issues locking onto the 1st target I select. However, I couldn't lock onto any other targets after that using the AG missiles in a fixed wing AC.
Then I used the Hostile Helicopters mission while flying a Blackfoot. Again, I can lock on the initial target I selected but could not lock onto any others after that.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #4 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 08:04 AM »

I've had similar issues and complaints from other players. Tested a bit on my server yesterday. The instance I used was the money mission while flying a Neophron. I had no issues locking onto the 1st target I select. However, I couldn't lock onto any other targets after that using the AG missiles in a fixed wing AC.
Then I used the Hostile Helicopters mission while flying a Blackfoot. Again, I can lock on the initial target I selected but could not lock onto any others after that.

Can't say I've had any issues locking on vehicles at all - I will upload my Blackfoot video - 30+ kills in less than an hour locking onto vehicles etc ...

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 08:11 AM »
I think the problem only affects the short range AA missile, the long range one seems to work fine. In any case, I don't think that's related to A3W because missions have no control over target locking whatsoever.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #6 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 05:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00z-20oLMi0&list=UUdkjY6GO_HzaiIYo8Tdbnkw

Blackfoot Carnage on a full-ish server ^^ - in all fairness , the keybind that auto targets next enemy in vehicle needs nerfing !

« Reply #7 posted: Dec 13, 2014, 01:43 AM »
hmm, strange. Your radar in the video shows exactly what i miss on my radar in A3W, red and green symbols for enemy and friendly vehicles. Mine shows me only grey symbols. Very strange.

btw: in the video you play as gunner in a helicopter, wich i haven't done yet in A3W. I always tryed to lock on from pilots seat using "manual fire".
But anyhow, can you lock on targets when flying a plane?

[edit] ok, tested it yet from the gunners seat (from where you can fly helicopters too) on AH-99 Blackfoot. So as gunner i am able to lock on targets too, but the planes are singleseater and on them i still get no lock on target. Not even when rightclicking them...

« Reply #8 posted: Dec 13, 2014, 07:55 PM »
It works in other missions if there is an AI gunner in the gunner seat. While you press T, you literally tell your gunner to lock the target. In A3Wasteland, you don't have AI teammates, that's why you can't lock with missile as a helicopter pilot.

As we are on it. In KoTH missions, players are able to lock on ground and air vehicles with guns flying in fighter planes, Does anyone knows how to enable that? I have fiddled with the difficulty settings but no avail.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #9 posted: Dec 13, 2014, 07:59 PM »
It works in other missions if there is an AI gunner in the gunner seat. While you press T, you literally tell your gunner to lock the target. In A3Wasteland, you don't have AI teammates, that's why you can't lock with missile as a helicopter pilot.

As we are on it. In KoTH missions, players are able to lock on ground and air vehicles with guns flying in fighter planes, Does anyone knows how to enable that? I have fiddled with the difficulty settings but no avail.

It works for most militarized vehicles by default ... if you aim at a player with say the guns , you can press T and it will "mark" the target ( not actually lock ).

Same goes as pilot for certain vehicles or as gunner ... only certain rocket types can actually lock on ground / air vehicles. e.g. Orca Armed has DAGR missles which can lock on ground targets as the pilot, same goes for any jet , you need to use the correct missle type (that can lock ) on the correct target ground / air etc.

You will also find your viewdistance and object view distance plays a role in how easily / far you can target a player / vehicle.

Goodlucky and may the force be with you !

« Reply #10 posted: Dec 18, 2014, 08:31 PM »
And that's it what do not work in Wasteland for plane pilots. You select AG or AA missiles wich do lock on targets in normal Arma3 missions, but in Wasteland they don't do that if you press "next target" button.
In wasteland i can only lock on targets while flying a plane (dont talking about helicopters yet) if i point the "gunsight" directly on target and press the right mouse button. When pressing "next target" button there is no lock on in wasteland. And thats the problem i am talking about all the time.

And that problem must have something to do with wasteland itself, because in other missions lock on targets works just fine for airplanes...
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 posted: Dec 18, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I am 110% certain on the fact that the mission has absolutely no control over target locking. Whether or not it's an unintended side effect of something else, I have no idea.