Help me optimize my dedicated server please

Help me optimize my dedicated server please

« posted: Jun 30, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I know this isn't the best place to post this but you guys seem very knowledgeable. I'm running the latest A3Wasteland_v0.9gh.Altis revive beta and was recently running A3Wasteland_v0.9g.Altis hotfix 6. I've noticed some admins running 108 slot servers with vehicle saving. How is this possible? I can only run about 40 players with no vehicle saving and it will go from 45fps to 12fps in 2 to 3 hours.

Any tips from my fellow A3Wasteland admins would be appreciated!

I run A3W_buildingLoot = 0 and  A3W_objectLifetime = 2*24

Here's my specs, start up, and relevant config.
Xeon E3 1230 v2
8GB DDR3 RAM
250GB SATA Hard Drive
On a 1Gbit connection
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 (Running only this one server and BEC)

Running arma3server_122_perf1

Code: [Select]
start "" /wait /realtime /affinity FF "C:\Arma 3\Arma3server.exe" "-config=C:\Arma 3\TADST\A3W\TADST_config.cfg" "-cfg=C:\Arma 3\TADST\A3W\TADST_basic.cfg" "-profiles=C:\Arma 3\TADST\A3W" -name=A3W -enableHT -maxMem=4096 -noLogs -port=2302
MaxMsgSend = 768;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 240;
MinBandwidth = 10485760;
MaxBandwidth = 805306368;
MinErrorToSend = 0.002;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.02;
MaxCustomFileSize = 0;
class sockets{maxPacketSize = 1400;};
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
terrainGrid=45.0;
viewDistance=4000;
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

Re: Help me optimize my dedicated server please

« Reply #1 posted: Jul 01, 2014, 10:13 AM »
how often do you restart? every 6 or 12 hours? :)

« Reply #2 posted: Jul 01, 2014, 12:52 PM »
I do a restart every 6 hours. The server runs better now that I've completely removed any loot spawning. If you have loot spawning on, it seems you'd have to do a restart every 3 hours.

I just figured I should be able to run more than 40 with the specs I have.

Thank you for the reply.
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #3 posted: Jul 01, 2014, 02:00 PM »
How heavy is the load on your HDD when running a full server for more then an hour?
is it reaching the limits of your HDD troughput?

I've had simular issues when running on an old sata HDD (the server now uses a SSD)

« Reply #4 posted: Jul 10, 2014, 04:56 AM »
How heavy is the load on your HDD when running a full server for more then an hour?
is it reaching the limits of your HDD troughput?

I've had simular issues when running on an old sata HDD (the server now uses a SSD)

Which files are accessed other than the pbo?  I have a huge RAMDisk but don't know what directory to use the RAMDisk on.  I have it on the mpmissions folder but don't know what else to put on RAMDisk..

« Reply #5 posted: Jul 10, 2014, 02:02 PM »
If your Ramdisk is big enough I would put the whole Arma3 Folder from the Steamlibrary on it.

For dedicated Servers there is also currently a new performance build in tests which is quite promising:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169944-Arma-3-STABLE-server-1-20-quot-performance-binary-quot-feedback

We are running this dedicated server build without problems so far on our wasteland server.

« Reply #6 posted: Aug 13, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I'm still waiting to get a SSD installed. In till then I have been using a ram disk (upgraded my ram to 24gb). I haven't really noticed any improvements, maybe a faster map load right after a restart. I set up windows performance monitor while the server was full (with the SATA HDD) and the most HDD use I could find was.

Disk Read Bytes/sec 120000
Disk Write Bytes/sec 400000

With the average well below that. I didn't test the drives throughput, but wouldn't most SATA drive be able to handle those speeds? I'll probably have a SSD installed in the next couple days so hopefully that will help.

What I'm really curious about, is what I should be using for my bandwidth optimization settings in my config?
MaxMsgSend = 768;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 240;
MinBandwidth = 10485760;
MaxBandwidth = 805306368;
MinErrorToSend = 0.002;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.02;
MaxCustomFileSize = 0;
class sockets{maxPacketSize = 1400;};

I used this guide but it was rather confusing and had a lot of conflicting information in the comments.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?156684-Tutorial-Server-bandwidth-amp-Optimisation

Any admins please share their config settings.