Need help setting up (ADMIN)

Need help setting up (ADMIN)

« posted: Feb 02, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Hello. I have just downloaded the A3 mission and have it running on my linux box. It runs well but I have no idea how to properly set it up for public use. I have a few questions.

- Where do I put the .sqf files? The doc says...
"Put the "A3Wasteland_settings" folder into your main ARMA 3 directory (where arma3.exe is located)".
But I'm running this in a Linux environment, so where should I put them? Putting them in the main Arma directory doesn't appear to work.

- How do I make my server only run the A3 mission I downloaded? At the moment when I select my server in the in-game browser I'm given the option to choose a mission. I want it to take players directly to the screen where you choose a team and select a slot. Can someone please tell me how this is done?

Any help is appreciated,
Chris.
  • Offline NiiV
  • Geared Up

Re: Need help setting up

« Reply #1 posted: Feb 02, 2014, 07:12 PM »

Hi, do you use realise files or folders with sqf? If alot of sqf - you need build a PBO and put it into mpmissons.
A3Wasteland_settings you should paste in server folder (c:\arma3server\A3Wasteland_settings\) like this.
for auto load mission in server config file -
Code: [Select]
class Missions
{
class Mission_1
{
template = "A3Wasteland_v0.9%n%.Altis";
difficulty = "regular";
};

};
where %n% number of version.

« Reply #2 posted: Feb 03, 2014, 11:46 AM »

Hi, do you use realise files or folders with sqf? If alot of sqf - you need build a PBO and put it into mpmissons.
A3Wasteland_settings you should paste in server folder (c:\arma3server\A3Wasteland_settings\) like this.
for auto load mission in server config file -
class Missions
{
class Mission_1
{
template = "A3Wasteland_v0.9%n%.Altis";
difficulty = "regular";
};

};
where %n% number of version.

Thanks for the reply NiiV.

I downloaded the release files. Here's the link to what I have... https://github.com/A3Wasteland/Release_Files
So what should I do with them? I already have the A3Wasteland_settings folder in /opt/arma3/ but it doesn't seem to work. My server is Linux not Windows.

Thanks, where do I find the server config file on Linux? I have had a look but I cant see anything obvious.

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

« Reply #3 posted: Feb 03, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Not having the foggiest about setting up a linux server i found this, maybe it will help you a little...
http://erictgrubaugh.com/play/games/arma/installation-and-configuration-of-an-arma-3-linux-dedicated-server/

« Reply #4 posted: Feb 03, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Not having the foggiest about setting up a linux server i found this, maybe it will help you a little...
http://erictgrubaugh.com/play/games/arma/installation-and-configuration-of-an-arma-3-linux-dedicated-server/

Thanks fella, I wished I'd have seen that before. I got to where I was by piecing together a bunch of different guides for Arma 2 and 3.

Using that guide I was able to set a config file and use the info provided by Niiv to enable a default mission. Thanks.

I could still do with some clarification on where I'm supposed to put those .sqf files though(https://github.com/A3Wasteland/Release_Files/tree/master/A3Wasteland_settings)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
  • Offline NiiV
  • Geared Up

« Reply #5 posted: Feb 03, 2014, 04:17 PM »

Thanks fella, I wished I'd have seen that before. I got to where I was by piecing together a bunch of different guides for Arma 2 and 3.

Using that guide I was able to set a config file and use the info provided by Niiv to enable a default mission. Thanks.

I could still do with some clarification on where I'm supposed to put those .sqf files though(https://github.com/A3Wasteland/Release_Files/tree/master/A3Wasteland_settings)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
This must work only while mission is loaded, you can check it, after mission loaded (player on map) in server .rpt
search for
[WARNING] A3W configuration file '%1\main_config.sqf' was not found. Using default settings!
I could still do with some clarification on where I'm supposed to put those .sqf files
this sqf should be inside ../arma3server/a3wasteland_settings/*.sqf

After you setup server, can u check a CPU load, and server fps? very intresting, my server on windows now.

« Reply #6 posted: Feb 03, 2014, 07:23 PM »
For a windows server i just put the whole "a3wasteland_settings"(containing the .sqf files) folder in the same directory as arma3server.exe as NiiV say, you will need to edit the files to suit your needs. the admins.sqf and the main_config.sqf is probably the ones you want to edit first.

If you want player saving you have to unpack the mission file (A3Wasteland_v0.9f.Altis.pbo or the stratis one) from the release_files.zip and edit the config.sqf, look for this line "config_player_saving_enabled = compileFinal "1";" and have compileFinal to 1 for saving player or to 0 for not saving player. and then repack to a pbo again.

I use "PBO Manager" found on armaholic and "Notepad ++" for editing, again on windows platform....

You don't need the "Custom Builds" or the "Old Versions" folders or files, BattlEye files goes into the BattlEye folder that is used, im using an external folder for this but i guess you could put them in the BattleEye folder in the directory where you have your arma3server.exe, again how this translates to Linux i don't know ;-). Is BattleEye supported on Linux yet btw?

« Reply #7 posted: Feb 04, 2014, 06:14 PM »
For a windows server i just put the whole "a3wasteland_settings"(containing the .sqf files) folder in the same directory as arma3server.exe as NiiV say, you will need to edit the files to suit your needs. the admins.sqf and the main_config.sqf is probably the ones you want to edit first.

If you want player saving you have to unpack the mission file (A3Wasteland_v0.9f.Altis.pbo or the stratis one) from the release_files.zip and edit the config.sqf, look for this line "config_player_saving_enabled = compileFinal "1";" and have compileFinal to 1 for saving player or to 0 for not saving player. and then repack to a pbo again.

I use "PBO Manager" found on armaholic and "Notepad ++" for editing, again on windows platform....

You don't need the "Custom Builds" or the "Old Versions" folders or files, BattlEye files goes into the BattlEye folder that is used, im using an external folder for this but i guess you could put them in the BattleEye folder in the directory where you have your arma3server.exe, again how this translates to Linux i don't know ;-). Is BattleEye supported on Linux yet btw?

The settings folder seems to have no affect on Linux. I will keep trying though and see what happens.

Thanks, I didn't realise the .pbo's were a container. After opening it up I noticed lots of interesting things I can change I will try enabling player saving and go from there. After running the A3Wasteland mission for a while there isn't too much I want to change. Do you know if I can modify the vehicle physics? I want all of the 4X4's to be faster up hills and the miltary vehicles to be less prone to damage.

Yes I have already put the BattlEye contents in the corresponding folder. I'm not sure what it does though because it appeared to run the same without them. I guess it's supported by Linux because on the client side you see the text in game.

Cheers,
Chris.

« Reply #8 posted: Feb 04, 2014, 06:20 PM »

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
This must work only while mission is loaded, you can check it, after mission loaded (player on map) in server .rpt
search for
[WARNING] A3W configuration file '%1\main_config.sqf' was not found. Using default settings!
I could still do with some clarification on where I'm supposed to put those .sqf files
this sqf should be inside ../arma3server/a3wasteland_settings/*.sqf

After you setup server, can u check a CPU load, and server fps? very intresting, my server on windows now.

Thank you. Where can I find the server.rpt?
I'm not sure how to check server FPS and CPU, sorry.

Chris.
  • Offline NiiV
  • Geared Up

« Reply #9 posted: Feb 04, 2014, 08:21 PM »

Chris.
in the same folder with server config file (for windows dont know for linux)

about fps, in admin menu (press u) debug menu show fps  (for get admins permission edit admins.sqf)

« Reply #10 posted: Feb 06, 2014, 05:41 PM »

Chris.
in the same folder with server config file (for windows dont know for linux)

about fps, in admin menu (press u) debug menu show fps  (for get admins permission edit admins.sqf)

Hmmm. I cant find the server.rpt

I have entered my details into both the admin.sqf in the main .pbo folder and in  the .pbo/server/admin.sqf but I still cant access the admin control panel. if I place the .pbo in my Windows... Arma3/MPmissions folder and load it, it works fine.

For some reason admin won't work on my Linux server. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Chris
  • Offline Jumbo
  • First Blood

« Reply #11 posted: Feb 06, 2014, 06:32 PM »
rpt should output to wherever you store your profile

On windows, my startup parameters look something like this:
-config=server1.cfg -profiles=profiles -name=server1 -mod=@inidbi

server2.cfg is located in the root of the arma 3 server folder
profiles folder is also located in the root of the arma 3 server folder
You can ignore inidbi untill you enable payer and base saving if you want. I use inidbi but inidb is also supported

the first time I ran that, it automatically created a Battleye and users/server1 folder in the profiles folder and server rpt logs start writing to the profiles folder also

As for admins.sqf and the external A3wasteland_settings folder problem then it could be a problem with the way loadFile works on linux as that's common to both. I just used notepad++'s Search-->Find in files feature to find where those files are referenced in the extracted pbo

Actually, it's probably the way that the external files are being located. Try replacing the backslash with a forward slash whenever loadFile, compile etc is used in this way. for example in server/admins.sqf, replace
if (loadFile (externalConfigFolder + "\admins.sqf"
with
if (loadFile (externalConfigFolder + "/admins.sqf"

and

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers (externalConfigFolder + "\admins.sqf");
with
call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers (externalConfigFolder + "/admins.sqf");

So you'll need to search for all references to externalConfigFolder. Luckily, Windows supports forward and backslashes so that should not break it for windows users.
  • Offline GSN_Pager
  • Fresh Spawn
  • If it is broken, tell me once not over and over.

« Reply #12 posted: Feb 09, 2014, 02:58 AM »
I see that you said that you DL it from the A3Wasteland Github when you unzip and you make it a .pbo the .pbo should have .Stratis or .Altis at the end and nothing else. If you have anything else on the end of it it doesn't know what map to load.
  • Offline pippen
  • Wasteland Warrior
  • First Blood

« Reply #13 posted: Feb 20, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Actually, it's probably the way that the external files are being located. Try replacing the backslash with a forward slash whenever loadFile, compile etc is used in this way. for example in server/admins.sqf, replace
if (loadFile (externalConfigFolder + "\admins.sqf"
with
if (loadFile (externalConfigFolder + "/admins.sqf"

and

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers (externalConfigFolder + "\admins.sqf");
with
call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers (externalConfigFolder + "/admins.sqf");

So you'll need to search for all references to externalConfigFolder. Luckily, Windows supports forward and backslashes so that should not break it for windows users.

Where does the A3Wasteland_settings folder go in Linux? I keep having problems with this....
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #14 posted: Feb 21, 2014, 12:34 PM »
we have no experience hosting on anything other then windows.
it could be that the mission needs adjustments to be compatible with the *nix pathing :)