NEW ARMA 3 TERRAIN
EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

Re: New official map announced

« Reply #1 posted: Jun 07, 2015, 01:17 AM »
e3 PCG countdown for the new a3 terrain :)

I personally can't wait to get my hands on it :)
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #2 posted: Jun 08, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Speculation is a Cherno like map...

I am hoping for Jungle / Desert  - but this means a whole new Wasteland Experience when it goes live !!!

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: Jun 08, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Primary speculation actually is South Asian map. They said it was something entirely new and fresh, so anything like Chernarus is out of the question, and desert was already done with Takistan. Arma 1's Sahrani has jungle elements, but it's also very mountainous, so a South Asian jungle wouldn't be out of the question, probably similar to Far Cry 3.

There was a picture I think on reddit some time ago found in promotional material of a third-party modeling company contracted by BIS, it had a bamboo hut and stuff. Although, it may not necessarily be related to the new map.

EDIT: reddit thread

EDIT 2: more evidence in campaign cutscene
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #4 posted: Jun 09, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Jungle map ftw !! Can't wait !! As an added bonus they should add Chernarus Plus to the mix !!! CMON BOHEMIA !

They can extend the lifespan of Arma3 by 2 years by just doing that alone :P

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Jun 09, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Here's how it *could* possibly look like:

It's a map based on Uganda made for VBS3, so the A3 team probably already had access to those assets to work with for the new map.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #6 posted: Jun 09, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Pretty ! I used to love Arma 2 - Saharani / Lingor maps for DayZ xD. Holding thumbs that they don't cock this up!

I suppose this will be an expansion to purchase like Operation Arrowhead was for A2.

« Reply #7 posted: Jun 09, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Here's how it *could* possibly look like:

It's a map based on Uganda made for VBS3, so the A3 team probably already had access to those assets to work with for the new map.

Except that VBS is not owned by BI. I have been told many times by both Bohemia Interactive and Bohemia Interactive Simulations that they are 2 separate companies and are not related. Regardless of the fact that VBS has Arma 1 units in it.
to get VBS you have to pay a hefty $6000 per copy license fee. I doubt BIS would give VBS content to BI for free.
  • Offline bolox
  • Mercenary

« Reply #8 posted: Jun 09, 2015, 09:59 PM »
New map on the way?

http://www.pcgamer.com/arma-3s-new-terrain-will-debut-at-the-pc-gaming-show/

*adminedit* merged with existing thread
Our 250 popular player rust server 1rule- Dont be a dick
www.nomercykillers.com
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 posted: Jun 09, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Except that VBS is not owned by BI. I have been told many times by both Bohemia Interactive and Bohemia Interactive Simulations that they are 2 separate companies and are not related. Regardless of the fact that VBS has Arma 1 units in it.
to get VBS you have to pay a hefty $6000 per copy license fee. I doubt BIS would give VBS content to BI for free.

They do share technology together; if you look at some other videos, you can see some of the features are identical to those introduced in Arma 3. For example, surface-specific bumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Etg-iteeE

« Reply #10 posted: Jun 12, 2015, 05:30 AM »
They do share technology together; if you look at some other videos, you can see some of the features are identical to those introduced in Arma 3. For example, surface-specific bumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Etg-iteeE

I asked them about that and pointed those things out. They still claim they dont share. Nor are the same company split 2 ways. I think it is corporate BS.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 posted: Jun 12, 2015, 05:50 AM »
I asked them about that and pointed those things out. They still claim they dont share. Nor are the same company split 2 ways. I think it is corporate BS.

Maybe it's just one-way, i.e. BIStudios gives stuff to BISimulations, but not the other way around. I mean, all the VBS games use plenty of assets from Arma games, like Arma 1's Sahrani in VBS2. BISimulations is owned by a private equity firm, while BIStudios is owned by the Španěl brothers.

« Reply #12 posted: Jun 12, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Maybe it's just one-way, i.e. BIStudios gives stuff to BISimulations, but not the other way around. I mean, all the VBS games use plenty of assets from Arma games, like Arma 1's Sahrani in VBS2. BISimulations is owned by a private equity firm, while BIStudios is owned by the Španěl brothers.
im thinking it is that way. especially since BISims has government contracts. I would assume that governments and such would not want the stuff they are paying $6k/copy for to be able to be had by average civies for $60.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 posted: Jun 14, 2015, 04:09 AM »
New map pics leaked: http://imgur.com/a/ZDrT4
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #14 posted: Jun 14, 2015, 11:31 PM »