Virtual Arsenal Debugging for Donators / Supporters

• Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

Virtual Arsenal Debugging for Donators / Supporters

« posted: Jul 06, 2015, 09:15 AM »
I am currently testing the virtual arsenal for supporter loadouts and having a few small challenges.

If anyone would like to assist in debuggin and fixing the 2 - 3 small issues I am facing right now , drop me a PM !

fn_r3m3dy showed me a way to include the virtual arsenal for players that are flagged as supporters / donators in the db.

I've managed to include it and it's working ... sorta ! Right now I have defined 3 different arrays with access to different gear per level ( rank 1 - 3 ) however during testing and QA i found a few niggles I am not entirely happy with right now.

You can pull them mission from here - this is still a WIP and some things need to be looked at in more detail.

Known Issues:

1) I can set a player to have access to the rank 1 gear - this all works great the players only have access to the gear in the virtual arsenal that I have defined for this rank. The issue however appears when a higher rank player selects gear from the higher ranked virtual arsenal ...

The server seems to save the higher rank virtual arsenal loadout and the lower rank player now has access to the higher rank gear after respawning - I need to reset the contents of the virtual arsenal somewhere as the server i caching this. I tried various ways here , but sadly nothing working yet !

2) Virtual arsenal pops up at the same time as the respawn dialogue , Ideally I would want to have the virtual arsenal to pop up before the respawn dialogue is up so that the player can load  / setup his kit before clicking respawn. At the moment a players needs to spawn in first , then do his virtual loadout , then carry on ..

3) If we are unable to accomplish the above , I would probably think to make the players immune to damage whilst they are in the virtual arsenal , however this will open up all kinda exploits that I am trying to avoid right now. Players paradropping in without opening parachutes and so on ..

4) Saved loadouts cannot be loaded sometimes - need to test more here .

I suspect I haven't set up the arrays for the virtual ammobox correctly and still need to investigate this here ...

https://github.com/CRE4MPIE/ArmA3_Wasteland_1.1e.Stratis

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

Re: Virtual Arsenal Debugging for Donators / Supporters

« Reply #1 posted: Jul 13, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Small update here ...

I've managed to get the whitelisting to work for items available to players. I've removed Lock on Launchers and Thermals from the selection options.

I've dropped the tiered approach and just went with a restricted list altogether for supporters - this makes my life easier and just have to flag the supporterLevel in the database with a 1 or 0.

There appears to be a few small bugs with the bis_fnc_arsenal but working around those.

You can have a look here if you like ..

https://github.com/CRE4MPIE/ArmA3_Wasteland_1.1e.Stratis/blob/master/addons/supporters/supporters.sqf

Still looking at pushing the respawn dialogue if the arsenal is loaded somehow.

« Reply #2 posted: Jul 25, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I'm super interested in utilizing this for my server, if at all possible.

Are you able to dictate levels and loadouts, restrict buys, etc?

What's the setup process for this entail, just the addition of another .sqf?
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #3 posted: Jul 26, 2015, 09:24 AM »
I'm super interested in utilizing this for my server, if at all possible.

Are you able to dictate levels and loadouts, restrict buys, etc?

What's the setup process for this entail, just the addition of another .sqf?

I've set all my supporters to have access to a limited virtual arsenal by means of a whitelist of equipment to not give a massive advantage over the default class spawn gear we have , but still allowing them to completely customize it themselves.

I tried different levels of the whitelist , but there seems to be some issues there and the way it's set up right now is working great.

You have to include a script that is called when players repsawn to execute the arsenal function.
You need to add a field in your PlayerInfo table that flags them as a supporter and so on.

There are a few other places you need to add this.

Check out my GIT I listed before , I would however not recommend trying this if you aren't familiar to some extent with coding in ARMA.

« Reply #4 posted: Jul 26, 2015, 11:12 PM »
This breaks the monetization rules BIS has put into place for Arma 3. I talked to a employee from BIS legal when I applied for monetization and they told me I can face legal action if I don't follow the rules. Even if I didn't apply. I showed them lodoc's and LouD's servers as an example and they said I can't do what they do for donators and they are well aware of them and other rule breakers. Whatever that means. It's just a paper tiger to me in till I hear they actually enforce these rules. Basically all you can do is cosmetic stuff like different colored uniforms, weapons, and vehicles. Reserved slots are also ok. Any housing or load-outs are against the rules.

https://www.bistudio.com/monetization

« Reply #5 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 04:40 AM »
Im curious to know what BIS will do to enforce this rules, since 95% of the Arma community doesn't follow this rules and monetize the servers, and i mean BIG community's, not community's with 1 or 2 servers.

Imho this is a stupid rule, we are paying for the server rents, its not them paying for the servers, most of community's / servers disappear because they don't have founds to keep online, imposing this rules will make even more communitys / servers to close.

Whos gonna give you 10$ for a pink hat ? lol

I don't want to discuss this subject because it was already been heavily discussed in BIS forums and also some great devs leaved (BEC dev for example) Arma community because this decision.

« Reply #6 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 09:21 AM »
I think the worst thing that could happen to a small community (just a couple servers) that has been running for a several months, is a cease and desist order addressed to the domain or hosting owners. All you would have to do is change the name and start up again, untill they send another. This could be bad for a community that has been around for a year or more though. The B.E.C. developer nuxil stopped development and terminated his service as a protest against BIS for allowing server monetization. Alot of developers that are open source zealots have left arma behind for allowing it at all. In my opinion players expecting perks for donations is at a all time high, which is not really a donation.
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Last weekend we removed the donator bases we had in place on our Altis server for two main reasons.

1. It was against the rules of Arma and I didn't want to receive a cease an desist. The server is even fuller with them removed then before :) We have no donator perks weapon like.
2. We think they might drain some fps.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #8 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 12:46 PM »
We received a request from BiS to register or remove our servers .

I am currently in the process of registering as a monetized provider of arma 3 servers - they are fairly exact on what you are allowed and not allowed to do.

I'll let you know what the outcome is :)

In the meantime we are setting up our new dedicated environment !!!!!

« Reply #9 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Didnt received shit yet from them, where you got contacted ? By mail ?

This is what states in my website lol

We don’t sell perks, all the benefits you receive when Joining Army are totally free and given to you as a way to show you our gratitude and appreciation for helping our community with your donation.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #10 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 04:04 PM »
Didnt received shit yet from them, where you got contacted ? By mail ?

This is what states in my website lol

Yep - official email from monetization@bistudio.com

• Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

« Reply #11 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 07:11 PM »
They are literally killing there own game especially arma 2, without communities keeping servers up what will happen?

In my experience the average player wants perks for donations, that's the harsh reality sad as it is.

« Reply #12 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Actually i came across 2 server communities that got approval that give donator perks.
Just go through the arma server monetization list + check for yourself (some require forum registration).

People that donate get access to the perks
But people that are actively helping out on community forums also get access to the perks.

That way its possible for people that don't donate to get access to the perks.

« Reply #13 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Actually i came across 2 server communities that got approval that give donator perks.
Just go through the arma server monetization list + check for yourself (some require forum registration).

People that donate get access to the perks
Or people that are actively helping out on community forums also get access to the perks.

That way its possible for people that don't donate to get access to the perks.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Https://Fractured-Gaming.com

« Reply #14 posted: Jul 27, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I believe some of these communities applied for server monetization prior to donate perks.

I've emailed Bohemia about different scenarios on server monetization and the general answers were,  if someone recieved something by giving money,  it is no longer a donation but a purchase.

Example:
After a player maxes bank, they can fill out a gear level application and spawn with better gear. However,  even though it is obtained by gameplay,  if I were to allow it to also be purchased with IRL money, it breaks server monetization rules.

It is very upsetting. Hopefully they will change it.
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!