PBO hijackers

• Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Https://Fractured-Gaming.com

PBO hijackers

« posted: Aug 13, 2015, 01:20 PM »
So, this morning on my way to work someone told me they downloaded my 1.2 version  off of github and the missions don't work (the version is incomplete and still in development) I explained this to him and told him about it,  the  I referred him to my old version.

I don't mind doing helping new owners out,  however I do have an issue with people wanting a complete version of my mission that I've worked on.  Now I know a lot of it is zombie patched from other owners but that's all pushed into vanilla.

There is a question, if someone wanted to run my exact mission, would I be looked down on if I refused to help people run my exact mission in the A3W Community?

I don't care if people pull from my mission, however I do have an issue with people doing 0 work to a mission and calling it their own. (that's what vanilla Wasteland is for, but still call it Rev's work)

Any thoughts?

I did think afterwards I should of asked him to help script for Fractured but he was so quick to leave after I told him which mission works...  Not knowing about my external files and changes to the mission the reflect extDB2 and database.
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

Re: PBO hijackers

« Reply #1 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 01:57 PM »
I think it's all fair and well...

If people want to use the mission file, let them - however , if they come asking for support, they'd best be ready to figure shit out themselves ;)

It's the only way you're gonna learn !

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #2 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 02:38 PM »
I guess all is fair and well. I guess servers like that won't last long either. No updates,  no drive,  just a stick in the mud.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 05:02 PM »
You cannot prevent them fom running your mission, the license grants this right to anyone, and you have to provide all relevant files required to run it, including database schemas.

Refer to this excerpt from the license:

The "Corresponding Source" for a work in object code form means all the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an executable work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to control those activities.

However, you have no obligation to provide any support beyond making the files available :

The requirement to provide Installation Information does not include a requirement to continue to provide support service, warranty, or updates for a work that has been modified or installed by the recipient
  • Offline eldrich
  • First Blood
  • 40-1 Clan

« Reply #4 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I use louds mod and change a few things around I add most of his updates to, I change the title and the intro script to suit our clan, but always leave edited by loud-nl united and created by agent rev A3 in the loading screen out of respect and so peeps no its not all my work. i have pmed loud on a few occasions to ask for help as im new to this sort of stuff and he has always pmed me back with an answer. if it wasn't for this support I wouldn't have learned what I know now and thanks to this im learning new stuff everyday. I understand your point but for me its the only way I can learn, so would like to say TY loud, rev and all the other guys who have helped me out.

eld

• Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #5 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Yeah,  but you still did work on it.  It's not like you grabbed his PBO, changed a few names,  and said,  "ok, done! Mission file is complete."
  • Offline eldrich
  • First Blood
  • 40-1 Clan

« Reply #6 posted: Aug 13, 2015, 08:25 PM »
That is true m8

« Reply #7 posted: Aug 14, 2015, 05:01 AM »
It does sting a little, when you put lots of work into something. I once had billboards all over the map and EU players started jumping on our teamspeak, asking why there bank got wiped. I told them we didn't have any servers at that time in the EU, sure enough went to the server and they left everything as g4, even the intro said our stuff. Pissed me off, but I got over it. We worked with arma51 when they started, defused did it right and ask for help.

« Reply #8 posted: Sep 23, 2015, 05:45 PM »
So if i read this right, every server needs to have something public like github to show their mission version?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 posted: Sep 23, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Not if all your code is inside the PBO. A3Wasteland_settings is excluded from the sharing rule, unless you have implemented new code inside it that is required for a certain component of the mission to work. Any external antihack does not have to be shared either.

« Reply #10 posted: Sep 30, 2015, 07:38 PM »
A good portion of the s3k community had been playing on fractured and became accustomed to some of the content. When we recently decided to bring back our server we had a lot of requests to merge in some of the features that fractured has. Some of them aren't specific to Fractured though, I saw them in other repos such as Loud's. The main items were Toxic Gas Grenades, High Value Target, and Hacker mission. I know this post wasn't about me, but consider this an fyi, that I ripped some content :P

I generally don't go out looking to rip content from other servers, but I also don't want to reinvent the wheel when I get a community request for a new feature. If it were up to me I would have vanilla wasteland and 100$ start. I am more than happy to add your name to credits though if you want. If you extract our pbo and look at gas grenade sqf files you will already see a Thank You note to Fractured in the comments lol.

Personally though I wouldn't be too worried about sharing your code, even if the guy runs an identical version of it. Most wasteland servers are about 90% the same with that extra 10% of custom content. The success of the server will depend on having active devs plus a lot of active admins that are mature and that don't abuse.

I think some people in this forum ripped my bounty code at some point, I'm not worried about it. Maybe they will even make it better, and I will rip it back.

• Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 posted: Sep 30, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I don't mind :)
  • Offline Firstyminator
  • NoElite Gaming Community
  • Geared Up
  • Airborne Wookie!

« Reply #12 posted: Sep 30, 2015, 10:37 PM »
What you can do, is putting something outside the PBO, making it useless without the right serverfiles :) if i remember correctly they used it on the Gorilla Wasteland for Arma 2 :)

Yeah LouD, i've been snooping your Mission out :) love it!
Firsty
Founder
NoEliteGaming

« Reply #13 posted: Oct 01, 2015, 04:50 AM »
I use stuff from all you guys and things found on forum.  Still can't figure out GitHub.  :o
The desktop tool is what I'm trying to use.

Added some missions using existing stuff, used Mokey or Louds tear gas for an extra scroll menu suicide thingy, etc.

Made progress with the gear perk menu. Just had a problem with duplicate RSC stuff and have mostly sorted it out.
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #14 posted: Oct 01, 2015, 09:23 AM »
What you can do, is putting something outside the PBO, making it useless without the right serverfiles :) if i remember correctly they used it on the Gorilla Wasteland for Arma 2 :)

Yeah LouD, i've been snooping your Mission out :) love it!

Well actually you cannot do that with Wasteland because of this GNU GPL whats its name license. The mission is free to use but everything you add you need to make publicly available. So also external files. Atleast this is what I got from AgentRev.