What do I need to change to make this work?

• Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

Re: What do I need to change to make this work?

« Reply #15 posted: Sep 11, 2015, 07:25 PM »
if my voice wouldn't have been so terrible (even with this expensive samson mic i bought), and free time would be more widely available to me i would have made a a3wasteland  porting video.

best-practice is to always base off a stable and working build on the engine you want t use.

Believe me.. i tried back-porting a 404 utes mission for a3+aia, after 3 days of tinkering. i deleted it all and started from scratch porting the A3W stratis mission to utes..

That being said, now that you're posting complete situational sketches, and also show what you've been trying so far. it's alot easier to answer in a correct way. thank you for that. and please keep this up :)

« Reply #16 posted: Sep 11, 2015, 07:32 PM »
if my voice wouldn't have been so terrible (even with this expensive samson mic i bought), and free time would be more widely available to me i would have made a a3wasteland  porting video.

best-practice is to always base off a stable and working build on the engine you want t use.

Believe me.. i tried back-porting a 404 utes mission for a3+aia, after 3 days of tinkering. i deleted it all and started from scratch porting the A3W stratis mission to utes..

That being said, now that you're posting complete situational sketches, and also show what you've been trying so far. it's alot easier to answer in a correct way. thank you for that. and please keep this up :)

I got these missions from the RangerSquad guys. I used to play on their server and know what the missions actually do. First hand experience. ^_^
Supposedly one of their guys ported the missions to Arma 3 but I have not been able to track those down yet. Lingor is essentially done minus the convoy missions of course. I wish I could just say that the convoy starts "here" and ends "there". And let the convoy find its way.

« Reply #17 posted: Sep 11, 2015, 08:41 PM »
I have figured out where I want the first convoy to spawn and where the 3 vehicles in the convoy would spawn in the town as well as the direction they will face. Then I figured out the waypoint locations but, I have them in the following format: 3146.5, 9384.96, 4.99756  aka XYZ coords.

How do I put them in the following setup? From what I can see, these coords are not in XYZ. Are they Grid refs?

Code: [Select]
// starting positions for this route
_starts =
[
    [11877.198, 22464.334],
    [11921.394, 22530.055],
    [11956.172, 22594.484]
];

// starting directions in which the vehicles are spawned on this route
_startDirs =
[
];

// the route
_waypoints =
[
    [11869.673, 22208.621],
    [11125.767, 20896.094],
    [12994.632, 19462.133],
    [12748.146, 18834.535],
    [11160.020, 17270.051],
    [9703.3369, 16182.543],
    [8348.6055, 15781.597],
    [6614.5122, 15335.907],
    [4709.3672, 13381.538]
];
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #18 posted: Sep 11, 2015, 09:09 PM »
XY

« Reply #19 posted: Sep 11, 2015, 09:26 PM »
XY

So I can just replace the coords in the files with the routes I figure out on Lingor using XY instead of XYZ?

I am assuming that since there are 3 sets of Starting coords that there are 3 vehicles.
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #20 posted: Sep 12, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Why are you asking such marginal questions here, if you can easily find it out yourself in-game in a few seconds. It really isn't rocket science :)

« Reply #21 posted: Sep 12, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Why are you asking such marginal questions here, if you can easily find it out yourself in-game in a few seconds. It really isn't rocket science :)

well, I spent around 4 hours hand coding the waypoints as well as all the towns (65 of them). some of the convoy routes are 25-30 waypoints. i then had to spend an hour or so checking each RHS vehicle to make sure that it could ford the rivers at the land bridges. I determined that the AI even when told to be limited speed went too fast when fording the river and therefore I had to change all the AI vehicles in the convoys to the Trucks instead of the HMMVVs. I then had to track down a proper listing of all the classnames for the RHS vehicles since RHS sucks at documentation. I ended up cross-referencing between RHS classnames page and a United Operations wiki for RHS.

So by me asking these "marginal" questions, I am making sure I don't fuck up and have to rewrite a bunch of code. Sure, I figured it out in the editor but I figured it would be better to Measure thrice and cut once. ^_^
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Https://Fractured-Gaming.com

« Reply #22 posted: Sep 13, 2015, 11:40 AM »
I know I'm not one to talk, but I do try to return to the community as much as possible, I also poke loud and creampie quite a bit. However, I try to return as much as possible. That alone makes this community great. - in reference to loud's post.

KRDUCKY
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE THE BBULLETIN CODE BUTTON!!  I often look at recent posts as I'm sure others do to. And the giant wall of text kills me.

Example:
put your code here
OK to business,

There are hardly any tutorials for making in A3W missions, there is no limit or,  guideline to follow really. I am currently learning how to do this myself and honestly it's not to hard. Just Google BISfunctions,  BIS has a huge list of functions you can use,  and as far as the missions,  start Frankensteining people's missions to get a better understanding of A3 code.

I'm no expert,  but you seem like a semi intelligent person. You can easily figure it out. :)
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!

« Reply #23 posted: Sep 13, 2015, 12:00 PM »
I know I'm not one to talk, but I do try to return to the community as much as possible, I also poke loud and creampie quite a bit. However, I try to return as much as possible. That alone makes this community great. - in reference to loud's post.

KRDUCKY
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE THE BBULLETIN CODE BUTTON!!  I often look at recent posts as I'm sure others do to. And the giant wall of text kills me.

Example:
put your code here
OK to business,

There are hardly any tutorials for making in A3W missions, there is no limit or,  guideline to follow really. I am currently learning how to do this myself and honestly it's not to hard. Just Google BISfunctions,  BIS has a huge list of functions you can use,  and as far as the missions,  start Frankensteining people's missions to get a better understanding of A3 code.

I'm no expert,  but you seem like a semi intelligent person. You can easily figure it out. :)

I should hope I am semi-intelligent ^_^

I am frankensteining as it were existing missions like what I have done to the convoy missions.But, thank you for the suggestions as well as reassuring me that I am not alone in the desire for guides on in A3W mission design. I will shortly post the changes I made to the convoy missions for Lingor. (In my Lingor thread under coding)

« Reply #24 posted: Sep 13, 2015, 04:51 PM »
I should hope I am semi-intelligent ^_^ I do after all have my A+ and Net+ certs as well as a degree in Computer Networking and Administration as well as completed the CISCO CCNA school course. All I have to do now is take the CCNA which frankly scares me. It is a $350 test.

::)  You need like a sincere kid so let me give you a hint.  Never talk yourself up in this way, especially if you haven't even left school yet.  With 20 years' experience, and the benefit of hindsight you'll know what I mean but until then, take my word for it; these kind of speeches wont ever do you any favours.  Just be quietly confident in yourself.

Anyway, as others have said, there aren't any shortcuts in learning to script Arma missions.  The following things are your friends:

Google
BIS functions documentation
GitHub and other people's mission code
A logical, systematic and rigorous mind
Testing and re-testing
Notepad++
Agent Ransack
A fine tipped fountain pen and paper
Quiet time, free from distractions and interruptions
Single Malt Whisky (Lagavulin 16 year is especially good)
A large, good quality monitor; 27 inches at least
Friends and family so you've got something besides A3Wasteland going on in your life
Women... or men, whatever floats your boat
Good coffee. Like, the best you can afford
Scrambled eggs, done just right with a big knob of butter so they're creamy

Ummm...  I'm hungry.  What was I talking about?

« Reply #25 posted: Sep 13, 2015, 06:58 PM »
::)  You need like a sincere kid so let me give you a hint.  Never talk yourself up in this way, especially if you haven't even left school yet.  With 20 years' experience, and the benefit of hindsight you'll know what I mean but until then, take my word for it; these kind of speeches wont ever do you any favours.  Just be quietly confident in yourself.

Anyway, as others have said, there aren't any shortcuts in learning to script Arma missions.  The following things are your friends:

Google
BIS functions documentation
A logical, systematic and rigorous mind
Testing and re-testing
Notepad++
Agent Ransack
A fine tipped fountain pen and paper
Quiet time, free from distractions and interruptions
Single Malt Whisky (Lagavulin 16 year is especially good)
A large, good quality monitor; 27 inches at least
Friends and family so you've got something besides A3Wasteland going on in your life
Women... or men, whatever floats your boat
Good coffee. Like, the best you can afford
Scrambled eggs, done just right with a big knob of butter so they're creamy

Ummm...  I'm hungry.  What was I talking about?

thanks for the tips but, I am 29 and have been out of college for 5 years now. I did a stint in the Army prior to that. I prefer Glenfiddich for my scotch
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #26 posted: Sep 13, 2015, 09:18 PM »

Loud got me hooked on an alternative to Github's shitty GUI app. it's called source tree.
It's a little more complicated that Github however, its soooo much better.
https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

Video Tutorial (Grit your teeth and smile, kid is a little dry but he tells you what you need to know)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lBdlh3AGSc

« Reply #27 posted: Sep 13, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Loud got me hooked on an alternative to Github's shitty GUI app. it's called source tree.
It's a little more complicated that Github however, its soooo much better.
https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

Video Tutorial (Grit your teeth and smile, kid is a little dry but he tells you what you need to know)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lBdlh3AGSc

Yeah, i switched to source tree awhile ago. i watched that video too.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #28 posted: Sep 14, 2015, 04:23 PM »
thanks for the tips but, I am 29 and have been out of college for 5 years now. I did a stint in the Army prior to that. I prefer Glenfiddich for my scotch

MOS?

« Reply #29 posted: Sep 14, 2015, 04:38 PM »
25B