Separate spawn areas for players and vehicles

Poll Would it be a good feature to have the spawn area for players separate from the vehicles so you can have an easier way to spawn vehicles in areas where you not necessarily want to have players to spawn in?

Yes.
2 (40%)
No.
0 (0%)
Dont care.
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Separate spawn areas for players and vehicles

« posted: May 18, 2014, 11:44 AM »
As of now i believe that the spawnareas (grey circles) are used to spawn both players and vehicles, beside vehicles  in the "militarylist".

Would it be a good feature to have the spawn area for players separate from the vehicles so you can have an easier way to spawn vehicles in areas where you not necessarily want to have players to spawn in? I know the idea is that you should not need to edit the mission .pbo but having this option would be nice and i guess i could try to make this myself but i prefer the cleanliness of having it done by the devs and it would probably work much better ;-).

I know there's a lot on the list to do and i don't see this as a priority but maybe a feature later on the roadmap.
  • Offline Jumbo
  • First Blood

Re: Separate spawn areas for players and vehicles

« Reply #1 posted: May 19, 2014, 11:01 AM »
I'm sure you have an idea in mind so can you explain why this might be useful?

« Reply #2 posted: May 19, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Well im thinking of all the towns and military installations around the map, i would like to spawn vehicles there in the same manner as the loot spawns in every building. Problem i see with spawning in every vehicle at start that it will probably lag the server unnecessarily.

But maybe this can be done using the lootspawning script instead, as it looks like it loads in loot first when the player comes within a certain radius and you can probably use it to remove them again just as with the loot. so you don't clutter unpopulated areas, but it would probably look funny if a vehicle pops in 50 in front of you here and there. I usually scout a town and if i don't see anything of interest i may not go there. Actually the more i think of it having a building a small chance to spawn a vehicle outside of it may be better, or like the white industrial building may spawn one inside maybe.

I tuned down the lootspawning radiuses to 50m and i think im going to try 25m. Going from 75 (i think it was) to 50 makes the mission only load half the amount of objects from ~9-10k (depending on how much the players move around and how quick i set the cleanup/respawn). But i want to see a vehicle from atleast 1500m. catch 22?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: May 20, 2014, 06:14 AM »
From a technical standpoint, this would become way too hard to manage.

You'd have to decide which specific buildings in every town have the ability to spawn a vehicle if you come close to them. Doing this programmatically would be close to impossible, because the location and number of buildings is different is every town, so the global vehicle distribution would not be heterogeneous.

I don't think the benefits would be great enough, because all of the towns get visited and explored pretty fast if you have a good number of players, which would negate any FPS gain since the number of vehicles would still quickly rise to the current levels.

I'm not sure if I properly understood your idea, please correct me if I'm wrong.

« Reply #4 posted: May 20, 2014, 08:50 PM »
No i think you got it and i also see the problems.

Basically, all i actually want to is to have some good way to add content to the towns where players don't spawn.
As of now the lootspawner does a good job adding stuff to the buildings and removing it when no one is near.

So what i thought of was some sort of way to easily add vehicles to those towns and places too like a marker or something, but if i read right vehicles add a lot of "load" to the server so having them to spawn in from start isn't as good as spawning them in when a player comes closer to those areas and removing them when they leave.

But i don't want to add to your workload here, there is much more important things =). So never mind about this what i now feel is a bad idea ;-).

BTW i know i talked about how ALiVE handled some of this, no idea on how it works thou but if i understood it properly it doesn't add very much "load"from watching their tutorials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcG0srHW8A interesting but i don't know if the concept is applicable.

Thanks for reading anyway.