PBO manager unpack and pack issues

PBO manager unpack and pack issues

« posted: May 22, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Hello fellow wastelanders,

Having a really strange issue happen with A3Wasteland_v0.9g.Stratis.pbo.

When i download it fresh from the releases and load it, it works fine and player/base saving works great also.

When i extract the pbo to make edits that i would like to do then pack again, i get the below issues. I am using pbo manager to extract and pack. I was able to use that with no issues on A3Wasteland_v0.9f.Stratis.pbo.

I noticed in the file properties of the .pbo i see something different other then: prefix development_main.

See pics:

Errors in .rpt:

Unknown hit sound type in bin\config.bin/CfgSurfaces/GdtVRsurface01.soundHit
PhysX3 SDK Init started ...
PhysX3 SDK Init ended.
String STR_A3_dlc_loading_screen_text not found
18:37:20 Unknown entity: '·ÅwchyÑüÀŒ° Pø¢n]±AnnՐce~Ï„~ÏÕÝA“€Ïµñ'
18:37:20 Unknown entity: '·ÅwchyÑüÀŒ° Pø¢n]±AnnՐce~Ï„~ÏÕÝA“€Ïµñ'
18:37:20 Warning Message: Preprocessor failed on file mpmissions\__cur_mp.Stratis\description.ext - error 7.
18:37:20 Error context version=ÿ12;
ErrorMessage: File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Stratis\mission.sqm, line 0: '.': 'ÿ' encountered instead of '='
18:48:46 NetServer::finishDestroyPlayer(345246374): DESTROY immediately after CREATE, both cancelled

I never changed the description.ext nor the mission.sqm.

I have tried changing the file properties via PBO manager back to just prefix development_main and re-pbo and same issues.

I even found mikero's pbo tool and installed that but sadly didn't make a difference.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19784

I'm at a lose as to why i can't extract or pack this version properly. I am just getting started with making edits and adding stuff so i may have missed a tutorial or something, but i have tried many different things and running out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running on a windows server 2012 R2

-
Detour

• Offline pippen
  • Wasteland Warrior
  • First Blood

Re: PBO manager unpack and pack issues

« Reply #1 posted: May 22, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Hey I downloaded a fresh copy too and when I un-pack the missions.sqf file is just lines of numbers instead of like it usually is, open mission.sqf and see if it looks lines of numbers like 20 digits long or so. Looks like a corrupted/bad copy was uploaded.
  • Offline Jumbo
  • First Blood

« Reply #2 posted: May 22, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I also had problems ith pbo manager when packing. Now I use PBO manager to unpack and then use the Addon builder from the official Arma 3 tools to pack them. You can get the Arma 3 tools using Steam:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_3_Official_Tools

« Reply #3 posted: May 22, 2014, 02:01 PM »
I opened both files mission.sqf and description.ext and yes both were just lines of junk.

The thing that doesn't make sense is i could pack and re-pack with PBO manager on the A3Wasteland_v0.9f.Stratis.pbo with no issues.

I've used binPBO aka Addon Builder before and had issues packing other mission files such as Dayz Epoch.

I will give that a go and hope that works.

Thanks

« Reply #4 posted: May 22, 2014, 06:20 PM »
So, I tried out the arma 3 tools and the addon builder. Sadly, the files are messed up when i extract them to begin with. Not sure if they are bad or what.

I went and looked in the older versions folder in the releases and found A3Wasteland_v0.9g.Stratis.pbo. That works fine with PBO manager.

I am able to make the edits needed. I will use that version for the now.

Thanks for the advise.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: May 22, 2014, 06:36 PM »
The reason why you are having this problem is because I have packed the PBOs using MakePBO with file compression. If you want to decompress the PBO, you have to drag it onto the BankRev.exe program in the Arma 3 Tools folder, and it will extract it in a folder where the PBO is located.

I will be moving toward full PBO compression in the near future, so third-party unpackers will no longer be supported. If you intend to make modifications to the mission, you should be pulling it via Git, so that you can keep up with the changes much more easily. The PBOs are only there for direct hosting.

« Reply #6 posted: May 22, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Thank you for your response. That is to bad you will not allow the third-party unpackers because that just seems like way more work then what is needed but i can see why you are doing it that way. Just my opinion.

I will pull releases from the Git and use bankrev to extract. Thanks for that info.

I just would like to add custom stores or add different weapons to AI for example. Will most likely just create a custom folder and put all my changes there. Keep is separate.

Thank you and the others, for all the work done thus far and for the future releases.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 posted: May 23, 2014, 12:39 AM »
That is to bad you will not allow the third-party unpackers

It's unintended, just a side effect of compressing the PBO, because most PBO unpackers are not compatible. Compression is only to reduce the PBO size.

I will pull releases from the Git and use bankrev to extract.

What I meant is that you should be pulling the raw code from the repository (https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis), making your changes on those files, and pack it from there. You shouldn't touching the release PBOs at all if you are editing the mission.

What's great about doing that is that whenever I make updates to the main code, you can automatically download the changes on top of your modifications without having to go over them manually. Sometimes there can be conflicts between your edits and the updates, if the same lines were changed, and using Git you can easily fix the conflicts by doing a side-by-side comparison.

The easiest way is to fork our repository and use GitHub for Windows. I will probably make a tutorial on how to do that later on. Most likely after the v1 release, because we will make new repositories in order to simplify porting changes between Altis and Stratis.
  • Offline pippen
  • Wasteland Warrior
  • First Blood

« Reply #8 posted: May 23, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Thanks AgentRev! hahaha I thought I was going crazy...on top of everything else that is going wrong I was so confused  :P ;D
  • Offline Jumbo
  • First Blood

« Reply #9 posted: May 23, 2014, 11:01 AM »
The easiest way is to fork our repository and use GitHub for Windows. I will probably make a tutorial on how to do that later on. Most likely after the v1 release, because we will make new repositories in order to simplify porting changes between Altis and Stratis.

That would be great, thanks. I'm taking a break from arma atm but I'm sure I'll be back and would like to make our version public so others can improve it.

« Reply #10 posted: May 23, 2014, 02:16 PM »

What I meant is that you should be pulling the raw code from the repository (https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis), making your changes on those files, and pack it from there. You shouldn't touching the release PBOs at all if you are editing the mission.

What's great about doing that is that whenever I make updates to the main code, you can automatically download the changes on top of your modifications without having to go over them manually. Sometimes there can be conflicts between your edits and the updates, if the same lines were changed, and using Git you can easily fix the conflicts by doing a side-by-side comparison.

Thank you for this. My mistake, i totally misunderstood! I haven't played around with github enough yet to full make changes there. That does sound way better. I'll play around with it and go that route.

Thanks again.
  • Offline pippen
  • Wasteland Warrior
  • First Blood

« Reply #11 posted: May 23, 2014, 03:03 PM »
I used https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo to help me get it setup, rather easy just create a account and download github for your PC.  8)

« Reply #12 posted: Jul 01, 2014, 02:05 AM »
So i downloaded the stratis revive beta zip from the tread unzipped it with 7zip, opend arma 3 tools/addon builder. Clicked pack with clear temp and binarize check it completes succusfully. Move it to my arma 3 mpmissions folder and run the game and it doesn't show up in the list. i move both the folder and new .pbo file to my username/my documents/arma 3 other profiles/my username/missions/ and it doesn't show up in the editor either? what am i missing :(
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 posted: Jul 01, 2014, 02:09 AM »
You need to add ".Stratis" before the .pbo extension

« Reply #14 posted: Jul 02, 2014, 01:51 AM »
You need to add ".Stratis" before the .pbo extension
Thank you kinda sir. that fixed it. I knew it was something silly