Linux Server Performance - Startup params - Low Server FPS - Low CPU/RAM use

Hey guys,

3 days ago I started my server running the new build apex_sneak_preview
And I'm confused by the performance.

The server runs lower than 10 fps when it goes over 40 players. And with 70 players have 4-5fps average
http://i.imgur.com/M1ysCgt.png

But my machine is not bad (I think/hope)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz
32 GB RAM
300Mbps
Running CentOS 7

BUT arma3server NEVER use more than 20% of the CPU and 2GB ram (WHYYYYY??  :'( :'()
http://i.imgur.com/TbHHkfV.png

Follow my start params:
Code: [Select]
arma3server >>DIR//log/port_2322.15.06.16_2216.log 2>&1 -ip=158.69.242.29 -port=2322 -config=DIR/serverconfig/server.cfg -cfg=DIR/serverconfig/basic.cfg -name=wasteland_tanoa -pid=DIR/2322.pid -mod= -servermod=marma -bepath=DIR/battleye/ -enableHT -high -maxMem=10240 -nosound -nosplash -world=empty -noPause -autoinit -filepatching
I should use -loadmissiontomemory?
I was using but then removed to test and did not feel any difference ...
What does it really do?

My basic.cfg
Code: [Select]
MinBandwidth=71457280;
MaxBandwidth=322428800;
MaxMsgSend = 1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 512;
MinErrorToSend = 0.020000001;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.020000001;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;

This is hard to find content abount Arma 3 Servers in LINUX :(

Anyone have any tips?
Why the arma does not use all of the performance of my machine?
try the server without hyper threading i had an issue before that with hyper threading turned on we had all sorts of lag issues

turned hyper threading of and we increased fps not sure if it will help but its worth a try

I'll try that later.
 I should replace -enableHT for -cpucount=4 and  -exthreads=7?
 Or it does not help?

Look how it is now, half of the players, using the same CPU & RAM than when it is full. and the average FPS still rather low  :'(

I changed -enableHT to '-cpuCount=4 -exthreads=7' and now the server is running with ONE more fps when is full, better than nothing :)

But.. Still using low than 20% CPU :/
About the RAM, I read in somewhere that armaserver dont use more than 2gb. So... I'm ok with that, but the CPU, everyone got the same?

Another thing, since the first time I started the server I got a log in the init of  RPT
"Could not enable linux core dumps. Error 1 - "
And strong files like bellow has been created

Should I delete that files? What is that? Is bad?
I have had to turn down the server slots to 55 because the fps was really low.

On an i7 4790k @ 4GHz
32 GB ram
2x 250 GB ssd's
Windows server 2012 r2

At the moment it is like this :
http://i.imgur.com/TB84ECv.png

http://i.imgur.com/yXgApCU.png

I tried to set it up on linux in the first place, but could not get it done since the mission would not work, so I think you getting it done is quite cool :p

I have seen reports that linux is faster, I have seen reports it is slower. Pick one.

But yeah, this is what I have, if I were to have 70 players, it'll probably be around 10 fps which is something I don't like so we pushed it back to 55..
Administrator with the  Howling Maggots community

• Offline Magic
  • First Blood
You are not alone. I just moved to an E5 dedicated server and it runs like an absolute bag of shit. We have huge desync and lag issues and it has basically made me think that all this effort isn't worth it.

The mission file from the old server was reduced from an already very modest amount of custom content. The bandwidth optimisations were made in line with dwardens guidelines and still the server is an absolute nightmare. I have no idea how to go about getting it playable again and don't know if it's Arma or if it's wasteland or what is the root of the problem.

The server uses hardly any resources in terms of its hardware and it is based in a state of the art datacenter on a 1gbps pipe, yet it still lags and desyncs. I am at the end of the road with it I think.
I was thinking about change to windows since I read a report like "Linux - 10 player - 20 fps/Windows - 20 players - 40 fps(same machine)"... But I realy dont want belive/do that... Linux is so better in all other factors. BIS WHY DO U HAVE TO DO THIS WITH US? :'(

I was thinking about create a Headless client too, but i see all people talking about it but noone saying "oh, that really helped me, now my server is running better". If I do that, it realy  will help me? Has some other thing better to try?
It will probably help if the missions themselves are ran off of it, but that does not seem to be the case. If they actually run off that.. well then it does not really help. Mine does things like vehicle caching (defined in the config) but I think its not that magical improvement I was hoping for.. Well it's arma what was I thinking
Administrator with the  Howling Maggots community

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran
just a little precision here, you do not need enableHT, cpucount, or exthreads

enableHT: don't need that shit, will actually slightly decrease performance; HT is only useful for extremely demanding operations like professional rendering or scientific simulations. for gaming (especially Arma) you want a full physical core for the game's main thread.

cpucount: the game already detects this automatically, really all this option allows you do to is to use less cores than available.

exthreads: again, the game already detects this automatically.
You are not alone. I just moved to an E5 dedicated server and it runs like an absolute bag of shit. We have huge desync and lag issues and it has basically made me think that all this effort isn't worth it.

The mission file from the old server was reduced from an already very modest amount of custom content. The bandwidth optimisations were made in line with dwardens guidelines and still the server is an absolute nightmare. I have no idea how to go about getting it playable again and don't know if it's Arma or if it's wasteland or what is the root of the problem.

The server uses hardly any resources in terms of its hardware and it is based in a state of the art datacenter on a 1gbps pipe, yet it still lags and desyncs. I am at the end of the road with it I think.

i was playing your server yesterday magic my fps was around 35 to 40 with about 45 players on the server it was a lot better experience than the day you switched on your new server i didnt have much lag at all

hope the info helps
I changed to windows and for my surprise "just" get the double of server fps...

Now the arma is using 40%CPU(linux: 19% max) and a little bit more ram: 2.4gb(linux: 2gb max)
http://i.imgur.com/FaPGRSk.png

Server FPS with 70 players: 9 average(linux: 4)

I only recommend a thing for everyone: do NOT use Linux to host arma

I'm still doing some test to improve that more. When i get something conclusive I will back here  :D
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran
"Linux Servers Performance sucks so bad" - Torndeco, extDB dev
I'll preface this with stating that Linux server performance is BI's fault. I have run Linux arma servers before and they ran very well but that was a dual socket rig and SSDs. BI wrote the server main!y for Windows and seemingly made the Linux server on a whim.
  • Offline pippen
  • Wasteland Warrior
  • First Blood
I've run Linux Arma3 server since it came out, it was terrible at first, not worth it for many players, but it got better but still not as good as windows since it was made for that first maybe more work went into it who knows. I use dual CPU machines with atleast 2.5ghz and 4 cores per CPU, and SSD. It likes to only use 1 core like Agentrev said, I agree with the other things he said too :)  ;)

I think on stratis I would run 30fps with 50 players, but I edit my mission file to make it leaner, less clutter laying around.