Auto Restarts with A Game Server Provider?

Auto Restarts with A Game Server Provider?

« posted: Jun 21, 2016, 01:02 AM »
Hi all,

Quick question. Would it be better to setup some sort of auto restart system with my GSP host (if possible) or to set it up via some sort of batch file system? I have seen tutorials for dedicated servers but I was unsure if it works differently for GSP hosts. I would think the only draw back for using the GSP route is that I'd have to figure out a way to warn players of a restart that was not tied directly to the Arma 3 files.

Any suggestions? If you want to just point a newb like me in the right direction for the answer that would be great too! I ran a search on auto restart and found 2 unanswered threads on here though.

Thanks,

Anubis
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

Re: Auto Restarts with A Game Server Provider?

« Reply #1 posted: Jun 21, 2016, 11:53 AM »
If you can't use BEC or the provider doesn't support automated restarts i don't think there's any way of doing this.

That's why alot of the top end servers out there use dedicated hosting where they have control over these kinda things ;)

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #2 posted: Jun 21, 2016, 10:14 PM »
If you can't use BEC or the provider doesn't support automated restarts i don't think there's any way of doing this.

That's why alot of the top end servers out there use dedicated hosting where they have control over these kinda things ;)

True, well they appear that they have set up 4 hour restarts for us but I need to now figure out how to send out warnings. I assume I can use the code used by dedicated server hosts for their restart scripts minus the part about actually rebooting the server just to setup warnings. Is this a bad idea?
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #3 posted: Jun 22, 2016, 09:49 AM »
You can have a look at this and see if it can be adapted to work with A3W

https://github.com/IT07/ArmA3_exile_restartWarnings

I know also Infistar has it built in however with these kinda scripts the problem persists whereby if your server loses sync with the restart cycle due to an unplanned restart or crash , then the notifications are usually out of sync too..

Goodluck

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline dekela
  • First Blood

« Reply #4 posted: Jun 22, 2016, 10:58 AM »
True, well they appear that they have set up 4 hour restarts for us but I need to now figure out how to send out warnings. I assume I can use the code used by dedicated server hosts for their restart scripts minus the part about actually rebooting the server just to setup warnings. Is this a bad idea?

i had previously used BEC for restart messages alone on a vilayer dayz SA server. However, having tried again recently on a pingperfect hosted machine, none of the messages would work. Even their own support could not get them working. Unknown if its a host problem or another thing broken by a BIS update.

« Reply #5 posted: Jun 23, 2016, 06:54 AM »
You can have a look at this and see if it can be adapted to work with A3W

https://github.com/IT07/ArmA3_exile_restartWarnings

I know also Infistar has it built in however with these kinda scripts the problem persists whereby if your server loses sync with the restart cycle due to an unplanned restart or crash , then the notifications are usually out of sync too..

Goodluck

Well I gave that file a shot, thanks for the link, but I was unable to successfully implement it. I restructured the files and edited out a seemingly extraneous Exile object line and then the server would not successfully load the mission file. Not sure where I messed up. If you want to take a look at what I did I can make that available. Or if you know of any non-mod specific code that I might be able to tinker with I'd try that. I don't have a ton of coding experience so honestly that is probably my problem...

• Offline soulkobk
  • Hardened
  • soulkobk.blogspot.com.au

« Reply #6 posted: Jul 07, 2016, 07:11 AM »
but I need to now figure out how to send out warnings.

Use the serverRestartMessages.sqf script that I have written for this sole purpose... you can grab it here, and read/see all about it here.

The information on how to set it up is in the header of the file.

-soul.

« Reply #7 posted: Jul 07, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Use the serverRestartMessages.sqf script that I have written for this sole purpose... you can grab it here, and read/see all about it here.

The information on how to set it up is in the header of the file.

-soul.

Nicely done man!

« Reply #8 posted: Jul 08, 2016, 12:49 AM »
I changed and added some things I got from sock a3w and exile.
https://github.com/Gigatek1/ArmA_Scripts/commit/e3dba94bd2d4a69ae9cb675bca3bb9b93a9d046a

I think this or something similar should be added to vanilla and I think it could use the AgentRev treatment ;)
  • Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

« Reply #9 posted: Jul 08, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Good for game servers with fixed restarts no so good for Fire deamon users, maybe the hard reset times could be some kind of count down from 4 hours lets say ?
  • Offline soulkobk
  • Hardened
  • soulkobk.blogspot.com.au

« Reply #10 posted: Jul 08, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Nicely done man!

Thanks.

Good for game servers with fixed restarts no so good for Fire deamon users, maybe the hard reset times could be some kind of count down from 4 hours lets say ?

Fixed restarts, yes, as for Fire Daemon, I'm not sure how it times... but I assume by your comment, it times based of an uptime counter? aka at 3h 30min uptime start warning players, then at 4 hours uptime, restart the server?

I'm not sure if real_date by Killzone Kid has a feature to get the 'uptime' of a server? Or if ArmA has one built in?... I'd have to research and see what would be possible.

EDIT... it could be possible to use waitUntil {!isNil "bis_fnc_init"} or a waitUntil {time > 1} or such to start the internal seconds tick counter to count up-to 4 hours (14400 seconds) server side... as for how accurate that would be in relation to Fire Daemon... I'm not sure atm. Seems like 'serverTime' command could also be used.

-soul

• Offline dekela
  • First Blood

« Reply #11 posted: Jul 08, 2016, 01:32 PM »
works fine with a dedicated box restarting via bat file as well. as for set restart vs up time restart, i would prefer the set times, as then players know exactly when the server will restart. even if there is an unscheduled shutdown/restart, the script soul posted is still accurate to the second, almost. also,  your players wont miss the messages, like can happen via BEC/infiSTAR etc

« Reply #12 posted: Jul 21, 2016, 03:10 AM »
How are you guys doing this? I'm in much the same boat. I reboot every X hours versus however many times a day. We find it works a bit better as I can update our mission daily, but our statusbar is the only warning to players.

« Reply #13 posted: Oct 30, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Hm. Have these in my rpt file:

15:00:49 Error in expression <tartMessages\serverRestartMessages.sqf"
>
15:00:49   Error position: <>
15:00:49   Error Missing )
15:00:49 File A3Wasteland_settings\init.sqf, line 11

The init looks like this:

//   @file Version: 1.0
//   @file Name: init.sqf
//   @file Author: AgentRev
//   @file Created: 29/06/2013 12:09

// Add custom scripts you wish to be executed on server start here
// config.sqf, admins.sqf, and serverRules.sqf are already loaded automatically

execVM (externalConfigFolder + "\bannedNames.sqf");
execVM (externalConfigFolder + "\scripts\serverRestartMessages\serverRestartMessages.sqf"

There is no line 11.  ???
  • Offline dekela
  • First Blood

« Reply #14 posted: Oct 30, 2016, 02:16 PM »
15:00:49 Error in expression <tartMessages\serverRestartMessages.sqf"
>
15:00:49   Error position: <>
15:00:49   Error Missing )
15:00:49 File A3Wasteland_settings\init.sqf, line 11

says you are missing a ) line 11
then look at the last line here

//   @file Version: 1.0
//   @file Name: init.sqf
//   @file Author: AgentRev
//   @file Created: 29/06/2013 12:09

// Add custom scripts you wish to be executed on server start here
// config.sqf, admins.sqf, and serverRules.sqf are already loaded automatically

execVM (externalConfigFolder + "\bannedNames.sqf");
execVM (externalConfigFolder + "\scripts\serverRestartMessages\serverRestartMessages.sqf"

whats missing?
pretty sure spaces and commented lines are still counted as lines
may want to add a ; as well