Addon: Town/Location Information

Addon: Town/Location Information

« posted: Jul 14, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Purpose:
As players moved around the map I wanted to display their closest location.  Looking online I found a few scripts to pull location information so I mashed up a few things and made this little add-on.  I'm sure it can be optimized a bit but figured I would share what I had so far.. for anyone that is interested.

There is sometimes a delay when displaying the location information. I know there is another script out there for displaying text with additional delay on the screen so I may add that custom code in.  Also the location information appears in the lower right. This is sometimes a problem when you're in a vehicle with players showing on the right and the text is blocked by player names.   I believe this can be changed by creating an overlay to move the text to another location (using custom text display)

NOTES:
I did have some issues using nearestlocation vs nearestlocations.  I wasn't receiving the correct location information. Not sure if it was a bug or not.  Also played around with the location types but I ran into issues with information not coming back correctly.  The radius check is pretty large but feel free to play around with the settings.  When I lowered it I ran into weird results.

If you make some changes and get better performance/results let me know and post it here.

Onto the script:

Place the TownLocation.sqf into addons\scripts\

Modify your init.sqf

Code: [Select]
[] execVM "addons\scripts\TownLocation.sqf";

TownLocation.sqf

Code: [Select]
//Spawn this
[] spawn {

//Grab a listing of town types that we will search through (bistudio nearestlocations example)
// allLocationTypes = [];
// "allLocationTypes pushBack configName _x" configClasses (configFile >> "CfgLocationTypes");

_closestlocation = text ((nearestLocations [position player, ["Airport", "NameLocal", "NameVillage", "NameCity", "NameCityCapital", "NameMarine"], 20000]) select 0);
_location_old = _closestlocation;

//Loop this shit forever
while {true} do
{
_closestlocation = text ((nearestLocations [position player, ["Airport", "NameLocal", "NameVillage", "NameCity", "NameCityCapital", "NameMarine"], 20000]) select 0);
//_closestlocation = text ((nearestLocations [position player, allLocationTypes, 20000]) select 0);
_location_new = _closestlocation;
//systemChat format["Location 3: %1", _closestlocation];

if (_location_new == _location_old) then {
//you can debug some shit here if you like
} else {

//update the _town_nameold variable with the new town name
_location_old = _location_new;

//Time calculation
_hour = date select 3;
_mins = date select 4;

//Display our location on the screen
["LOCATION", _location_new, format ["%1:%3%2", _hour, _mins, if (_mins < 10) then {"0"} else {""}]] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;
};

//Check for a new town every x seconds
sleep 10;

}; //end: while
}; //spawn

Re: Addon: Town/Location Information

« Reply #1 posted: Jul 14, 2016, 06:15 PM »
NOTE:

This displays the location information in the lower right.. the same as if you just join the game. It shows you the town along with the current game time.

Question:

If anyone can get allLocationTypes working per the BIStudio Nearestlocations example let me know. When I tried to pull from the config the locations I would not return the results expected.