A3W Global Bans

• Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite
  • Https://Fractured-Gaming.com

A3W Global Bans

« posted: Oct 21, 2016, 10:35 PM »
Hey guys, a few months ago I touched up on writing an EXE on gathering a database to gather all the essential bans needed to globalize hacker bans throughout A3W and later through out arma...

I have finally started working on the project as a test, I really need some participation from the A3W community. Could you send me via PM your Bans.txt Files and take out the random bans and only leaving the Hackers/Cheaters/and Exploiters.

I ONLY WANT HACKING/CHEATING/EXPLOITING BANS!!

Please clean up your bans list like this:

FROM
Code: [Select]
8aa57b5ab96ecc8c207cee04bddab32d -1 Hacking
96142b41093e10b96747db519ad01355 -1 Hacking
0fd7927e934749398a05a05ce3c2260a -1 Hacking
3ea7dc7046364f72305ace4f01361523 -1 Hacking
TO
or something similar
8aa57b5ab96ecc8c207cee04bddab32d -1 Hacking/Cheating/Exploiting - Appeal @ www.Fractured-Gaming.com
96142b41093e10b96747db519ad01355 -1 Hacking/Cheating/Exploiting - Appeal @ www.Fractured-Gaming.com
0fd7927e934749398a05a05ce3c2260a -1 Hacking/Cheating/Exploiting - Appeal @ www.Fractured-Gaming.com
3ea7dc7046364f72305ace4f01361523 -1 Hacking/Cheating/Exploiting - Appeal @ www.Fractured-Gaming.com

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME IP ADDRESSES!!

This isn't going to be released yet..

So the stages I am working on are: Exporting the bans.txt to a database. I will keep the database public and post on a web server for others to download the database into a bans.txt to allow you to run it as a secondary bans list alongside your server's ban list....

After this I will work on a thick UI or a web UI that you can upload your bans to the database... This will have a login and password per user... So not everyone will be able to upload bans. Only the select servers will.

After that I will work on defining a webservice similar to what BEC used to have.. But not to be confused with BEC, because it's not BEC.

That's all I have for now.

Please note, I will not be adding everyone's ban list to the 1st list. Only the servers I know that I can trust will have their hacker bans added to the first list until I can refine a submission system.
Posts once, edits post 40 times in 60 seconds. STUPID FAT FINGERS!
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

Re: A3W Global Bans

« Reply #1 posted: Oct 22, 2016, 02:31 AM »
Here's to show the bans can be exported to a data base.

http://i.grab.la/06a16-65667ce2-8737-4a27-8830-f62b7f678afc.png
A3W Global Bans

This pretty much means... too EZ, I will start working on a GUI or a web interface for single bans... But I will still need big lists of the reputable servers bans...
  • Offline Matt76
  • Mercenary
  • co founder of customcombatgaming.com

« Reply #2 posted: Oct 22, 2016, 12:23 PM »
In my experience using another community's bans list is a nightmare as the level of professionalism between admins in various communities vastly differs.

Where is the proof these people hacked? What happens to players appealing?

Not for me.
  • Offline soulkobk
  • Hardened
  • soulkobk.blogspot.com.au

« Reply #3 posted: Oct 23, 2016, 03:47 AM »
In my experience using another community's bans list is a nightmare as the level of professionalism between admins in various communities vastly differs.

Not for me.

Agreed.

Mokey has a nice idea for sure, but for a 'global' ban list to work, it'd need a white list of selected A3Wasteland servers (trustworthy servers/admins) for it to work proper and not by infiltrated with bad entries.

In the past, I've seen players (permanent) banned just for winning shoot-outs against admins... it's lame, and like Matt76 said... how do you filter those?

If this were to be implemented (and used by some servers), there would need to be very strict rulings on who has access, who has ban access, etc etc... and IMO, it would be a bit of a nightmare to keep track/control of.

Again, nice idea... but I think I'd rather stick to a local ban list.

P.S. You might be interested in this list (should you not already have/know about it).

-soul.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #4 posted: Oct 23, 2016, 10:22 AM »
I would like to point this out: http://forums.a3wasteland.com/index.php?topic=1317.0

So with that:

There is no 100% way do ensure every ban is a proper ban. However there are a few things that I've been thinking about to sort the bans properly.

So right now I'm just trying to get a big list together so I can get a working Alpha.
This list Right now only will meet the requirements IF:

1: All servers must have a Public Ban List and/or a Ban Appeal process.

2: All bans must fall under Hacking, Cheating, or exploiting.

3: Servers must be at least 6 months old (to ensure you're not some short term ban happy kid server)

4: Server must have a non-soiled reputation.

5: Server MUST be an A3W server.

I will add these ONLY if they meet the requirements.

After I get a good list of public bans, I will get a web UI and/or a thick UI, (will require a registration process)  that requires a login from ONLY owners of a registered server. This will be the Beta Portion of the process. Only owners of a server will be able to globally submit a ban. This will help with "too many fingers" in the bans.

During the Beta phase, I will have forums set up for all the owners using this. I will also have a ban appeal form on the site. Owner(s) of the server that banned the player can submit their feedback on the ban along with all other registered server owners..

If we (server owners) feel too many bans are falsified by an owner, that owner and his/her server will be removed from the database along with all bans administered his server ID.It sounds rude, but I don't want to ban people who don't deserve it. Honestly, if you feel you want to falsify a ban, I don't want you using this.

I know it sounds like a lot, but my staff and I have absolutely no issue with monitoring this. But I would like it to go how I explained above, all the server owners communicate with each other.

After beta, based on the feedback and changes the owners that participate in this will decide if we should allow other admins on the database to submit bans.

There will also be a few more things on the site that will help us define better bans. But that's for later. I hope my process makes sense for you all to help me out.

also, the problem with https://wasteland.arma.su/_wsbans/bans-a3-permanent.txt is that there are a lot of falsified bans and uneeded bans such as admin disrespect or bad language, such as
38c06f1ee5864fe946b52603438bc974 -1 ws2456:Broke rules. "Broke Rules" is not a valid reason for a global ban.

I would like to add that all bans that are submitted during and after the beta phase will have to have a reason, I.E. Code, Screenshots, videos, voice logs. If you look at my forums, not a single ban is posted without a reason. If the reason is too vague almost all the time their bans are lifted. Also, I would like to note, if you ban some1, and your ban seemed valid, you now have other server owners that may have come across the the same thing. That same thing may indeed be a false positive, or a simple bug that you weren't aware of. This means that we all (as server owners) come together to stop hackers and reduce falsified bans.

If a player submits a ban appeal he will be able to research the reason of his ban on the website, from there he will probably submit an appeal, or not depending on the evidence.

To sum it up:

Bans will be monitored
    Reasons will be given
    Only approved server owners can ban
    Community driven ban database, by server owners
    Stipulations have to be met before being able to ban.
    Only A3W bans, so there is no confusion.
    Less falsified bans, more actual hacker bans.

I've given this a lot of thought and I really want this to work. But like I said, I need the A3W community to help to ensure this all works.

This system is very similar to the old BEC system that nearly everyone used before BEC tanked. And it's no different than America's Army 2.o Punkbuster System that was EXTREMELY effective.

« Reply #5 posted: Oct 23, 2016, 04:20 PM »

Not for me.

There are few solutions I can think of right away...

1. As part of the ban upload maintain server/source of the bans, so when other servers pull down the ban list they only pull bans from servers they trust.

2. Cross reference banned GUIDs from multiple servers. If the same GUID is banned among multiple servers this improves the likelihood of a reliable ban.

3. For appeals, each server could have some way to customize an ignore list through Mokeys server. So if a given server decides they want to allow a globally banned player on their server they can.

If this can be implemented in a reliable way, I think it's worth giving it a shot.

« Reply #6 posted: Oct 24, 2016, 01:53 PM »
Just as a study I would even just be interested in uploading everyone's ban files to the same database and looking at how much crossover there is between servers. If even 2 or 3 of the larger servers have a record for the same GUID it should be considered valid.

While I like the idea of tracking reason, including video evidence on a going forward basis I don't think that immediately disqualifies old ban records either.

Realistically if 1000 GUID bans matched between Fractured, CCG, and other reputable servers the reason for the ban really doesn't matter. Even if the 3+ bans were under completely different circumstances the admins on all servers came to the same conclusion, that the player should be banned. You would only need the evidence for appeals, and at some point the number of bans from completely different sources becomes evidence on its own.

Obviously tracking evidence for bans is a good thing so we should do that, but we all have years of ban records that might not all be well maintained. The simplest solution for validating historical data is by cross referencing with each other and look for matches.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #7 posted: Oct 25, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Still need those ban lists.

ok, for the Alpha I am going to use an exe to do everything for now.

I have written a C# program for submission of bans... I'm still working on it to try and get ALL the functions such as viewing bans, Removing Bans, and so on.

If you want to keep track
https://github.com/MokeyII/C-MYSQL-Conn-App
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #8 posted: Oct 25, 2016, 07:42 PM »
A preview of the application (remember this is in early alpha) I will make a much cleaner UI once I get all the functionality working properly.

I also plan on adding an Rcon Feature into it so server owners have a practical use for it.

Deprecated;
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #9 posted: Oct 26, 2016, 05:27 AM »
Updated Everything.

A simple How to for all of those that are interested.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #10 posted: Oct 27, 2016, 12:43 PM »
So Here we go, it's pretty self easy to understand. But just remember it's still in early alpha. But The alpha is almost ready to be released to a few servers.

NO LOGIN REQUIRED!
Main Screen:
http://i.grab.la/06a1b-1db7e8af-67ba-4387-9dfb-faf33bbd2746.png
A3W Global Bans

Here you can click on a Cell and hit CTRL + A to select all and then hit CTRL + C to copy it. After that you can just paste it into a Bans.txt or Make an new Bans.txt and name it to A3WBans.txt and have BEC read it as a second bans list in line with your ban list.

This also means that you do not have to be an approved server owner to apply bans to YOUR server or even search for bans. This means all bans can be applied to ANY server. Similar to Sa-Matra.

You can also Submit a Global Ban If you're an approved server owner or Search For Bans. 

Search For Bans:
http://i.grab.la/06a1b-9a0b767c-4aee-4535-a10f-c1801707ef44.png
A3W Global Bans

If you're curious if someone holds a ban you can just search their IP or GUID.

LOGIN REQUIRED!!

Login To Submit a Global Ban:
http://i.grab.la/06a1b-b73425cd-b1bb-4f2e-9bf2-e6995fde5339.png
A3W Global Bans

Obviously, not everyone will be able to submit global bans... that's just silly. Only the approved server owners will have access to this.

Submit Your Ban:
http://i.grab.la/06a1b-3b5b19f5-4eb4-4505-badc-bae6e7e0d91f.png
A3W Global Bans

Here the logged in Server Owners can submit a Global Ban and push it to the database.
Duplicate Entries are not allowed and it will tell you if there's a duplicate.

TO DO:

Alpha
    • Fix Search to not cause app to crash
    • Apply a Manual Download Button of the txt File.
    • Application Updater
    • Web API for auth.
    Beta
    • WebPage
    • Forums for App and Website
    • Website Appeal Process
    • Web Page to have the same Utility as the app
    • Add Rcon Featured to the App
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #11 posted: Oct 29, 2016, 07:26 AM »
Almost Finished with the Alpha, i'm only on my 4th day of ever touching C#, and I've gotten lots of crash courses in these 4 days... lol,

I don't know how you software devs actually deal with web API... I finally got it down lol but Jeesh My head is going to flip!!

After I have all the webAPI finished I want to double check all my code and then it will be ready for Alpha...

Wipes Forehead!! Sings, "It's the Final Countdown!"
  • Offline soulkobk
  • Hardened
  • soulkobk.blogspot.com.au

« Reply #12 posted: Oct 29, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Very nice effort there Mokey. :)
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #13 posted: Oct 29, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Very nice effort there Mokey. :)

Thanks Soul! I'm just tired of hackers jumping from server to server. Getting away with everything. I want to put a stop to it. So i have a lot of dedication to this project already.
  • Offline Mokey
  • Fractured Wasteland
  • Elite

« Reply #14 posted: Nov 04, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Updated the Global Bans Program, You may be interested, even if you don't think global bans are a good thing.