Headless Client

Headless Client

« posted: Aug 31, 2014, 12:13 AM »
we just recently switched server hosts for multiple reasons. they will not let me edit the start up parameters for a headless client. ie. -client -connect=216.52.148.61-profiles=HC -name=HC is there some way that i can get around this or is there some way to use something else to make a headless client connect. they say they do not support headless client. do they actually have to support that?

Re: Headless Client

« Reply #1 posted: Sep 01, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I tried some stuff with HC and it costs an extra license so that may be why they don't do it.

Also, i don't belive there is support for HC in the mission right now if you didn't add that yourself.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #2 posted: Sep 01, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Pardon my stupidity  ... what does it do :P

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

« Reply #3 posted: Sep 01, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Pardon my stupidity  ... what does it do :P

offloads AI to another CPU

TOPArma Mission - Share your mission on GitHub

« Reply #4 posted: Sep 01, 2014, 11:00 PM »
well i think we have been through this before. but how can i make my server start the mission without me having to join for it to show a3wasteland in the mission that its playing. once i jump in it, it will start the mission. but i dont want to have to do that. every time
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Sep 01, 2014, 11:14 PM »
well i think we have been through this before. but how can i make my server start the mission without me having to join for it to show a3wasteland in the mission that its playing. once i jump in it, it will start the mission. but i dont want to have to do that. every time

That's impossible. BIS even decided to make it so that headless clients do not start the mission anymore in one of the last updates. IMO, that move is pretty retarded, because it was a desirable side-effect.

« Reply #6 posted: Sep 01, 2014, 11:26 PM »
it depends how you implement the hc.
 if the hc uses a normal player slot it still can start the mission.

« Reply #7 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Well what does everybody do to start their mission with out having to log in to make it start the wasteland.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Well what does everybody do to start their mission with out having to log in to make it start the wasteland.

The only key to this is to become popular to the point that your server never goes empty for long.

« Reply #9 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 05:11 PM »
it depends how you implement the hc.
 if the hc uses a normal player slot it still can start the mission.

Aha, thanks for that info =)
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Would you guys want me to add a headless client slot in the civilian team?
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 05:25 PM »
A HC is only usefull for handling the AI and/or starting your server right?
Wouldn't you have to update the AI mission files aswell then?

I saw a script around which makes your AI missions happen more often so there were like 15 missions at a time. They had a HC implemented though, but they also had Zeus slots.

« Reply #12 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 05:37 PM »
A HC is only usefull for handling the AI and/or starting your server right?
Wouldn't you have to update the AI mission files aswell then?

I saw a script around which makes your AI missions happen more often so there were like 15 missions at a time. They had a HC implemented though, but they also had Zeus slots.

Yeah, i believe you have to have something that lets the HC take over the AI, i think DUWS have something that allows for that.

But if we have a dedicated HC slot is it possible to still have the HC start the mission by joining a normal slot and then disconnect and join its dedicated slot? I mean this was how it used to work (i didnt understand things wrong).
Maybe you can start the HC with another name than what is used for the HC slot, shut it down with BEC and run the "real" HC?

Ooops, a lot of rambling there, did anyone understand that ? =)
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 05:54 PM »
How do you control a headless client anyway? Are you sure you can have it join a specific slot? What I'm talking about when I say adding a headless slot is creating a player slot with the mission.sqm parameter "forceHeadlessClient=1"

« Reply #14 posted: Sep 02, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I don't think there is a way to control him so to speak, For the research that I have done. I was basically going to use it to make my mission start automatically. I wasn't going to off load the missions to him because I didn't know how to do it nor did I want to break any copyright laws. I went in the mission and added ambient life and this allowdamage;false to him. But once I did that and talking to my server host they do not allow me to edit the start up parameters with what I posted at the beginning of the post. Only thing they let me edit is the -mod= section. So that's why I started this whole thing to figure out what I could do to make my mission start. I have a great PDF of how to do it. I can post it here when I get home from work.