Encourage Donations towards A3Wasteland servers.

Encourage Donations towards A3Wasteland servers.

« posted: Sep 05, 2014, 09:29 AM »
I thought I'd throw this up here unsure of if it belongs or not. Feel free to remove
My clan currently host a very populated Wasteland server but is worried about the lack of donations to the server, forcing the clan leader to pay the rest. (we all chip in)
We're running 2 dedicated boxs hosting 2 dayz and 2 arma3 servers.

We use to just receive donations for our dayz servers for being up and people enjoying them. We take a 0 tolerance for pay to win donations and have rejected donations when they had strings attached. No loadouts, no Building packs ect.

But with Aus Dayz server population falling and less donations towards the server, we're forced to look into ways in which we can encourage donations and give out perks.
I thought I'd ask the community what methods might encourage a player to donate to keep these servers alive while NOT giving out free gear/money. As stated above we do not like the idea of Pay to Win servers.
Thoughts and Ideas currently to attract donations:
- Reserved player slots
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

Re: Encourage Donations towards A3Wasteland servers.

« Reply #1 posted: Sep 05, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I thought I'd throw this up here unsure of if it belongs or not. Feel free to remove
My clan currently host a very populated Wasteland server but is worried about the lack of donations to the server, forcing the clan leader to pay the rest. (we all chip in)
We're running 2 dedicated boxs hosting 2 dayz and 2 arma3 servers.

We use to just receive donations for our dayz servers for being up and people enjoying them. We take a 0 tolerance for pay to win donations and have rejected donations when they had strings attached. No loadouts, no Building packs ect.

But with Aus Dayz server population falling and less donations towards the server, we're forced to look into ways in which we can encourage donations and give out perks.
I thought I'd ask the community what methods might encourage a player to donate to keep these servers alive while NOT giving out free gear/money. As stated above we do not like the idea of Pay to Win servers.
Thoughts and Ideas currently to attract donations:
- Reserved player slots

Sponsors ! That's pretty much where you need to be looking ..

We are currently in negotiations / discussions with various sponsors for servertime etc - you can lure sponsors in many ways by means of advertising in the server using custom textures and billboards !

:D

- from the grassy knoll -

« Reply #2 posted: Sep 06, 2014, 02:51 AM »
That's an awesome Idea. I'll throw the idea up to the clan. Thanks Heaps.

« Reply #3 posted: Oct 27, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Creampie, I looked at your billboards but how do I set them up. Can I just rip yours? I don't like placement tho. Any help getting me started would be appreciated.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #4 posted: Oct 27, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Creampie, I looked at your billboards but how do I set them up. Can I just rip yours? I don't like placement tho. Any help getting me started would be appreciated.

Heya !

Sure can ! It's pretty straight forward , I've just added the billboard locations using the editor ( most of which are at points of interest )

In order to add objects on the map you have to open the mission.sqm in the editor in Arma3. I would also suggest you get http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20821 to help you with choosing the billboard objects that are otherwise hidden in the standard editor.

You can copy the code from my billboards in my mission.sqm and point the init to the image you want to place on that billboard in the correct directory in your mission file. You will see all my images reside in the /img folder.

Once you save your mission file - make sure to copy the mission.sqm back into your working mission directory as it will most likely have saved into it's own folder.

Pack the pbo up again and deploy to your server ;)

check the image sizes you are allowed to use
make sure your images are compress and not too big as this has a direct impact on the size of your mission file

Have fun :)

As a matter of interest , there are various other objects you can also "texture"

• Flags
    Vehicle
    Info Stands
    etc etc

I did a few for potential sponsors some time ago ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjjpqnr5360vryz/screenshot_arma3_20140731134456.jpg?dl=0

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Oct 27, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Just a little notice about perks, normally they are prohibited by Bohemia's Game Content Usage Rules. Some servers giving out donator perks have received cease-and-desist letters by BIS.

While I personally don't mind about perks, you may want to consider that if you don't want trouble from them.

Although, I don't know if that rule applies to reserved slots, since it's not really game content in itself.

« Reply #6 posted: Oct 28, 2014, 07:10 AM »

Heya !

Sure can ! It's pretty straight forward , I've just added the billboard locations using the editor ( most of which are at points of interest )

In order to add objects on the map you have to open the mission.sqm in the editor in Arma3. I would also suggest you get http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20821 to help you with choosing the billboard objects that are otherwise hidden in the standard editor.

You can copy the code from my billboards in my mission.sqm and point the init to the image you want to place on that billboard in the correct directory in your mission file. You will see all my images reside in the /img folder.

Once you save your mission file - make sure to copy the mission.sqm back into your working mission directory as it will most likely have saved into it's own folder.

Pack the pbo up again and deploy to your server ;)

check the image sizes you are allowed to use
make sure your images are compress and not too big as this has a direct impact on the size of your mission file

Have fun :)

As a matter of interest , there are various other objects you can also "texture"

• Flags
    Vehicle
    Info Stands
    etc etc

I did a few for potential sponsors some time ago ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjjpqnr5360vryz/screenshot_arma3_20140731134456.jpg?dl=0
Kool Thx, in the init what string is it? You know off hand the img size?
Also Agentrev any chance you'd make a img with info on a3wasteland make Arma not war campaign. I'd throw it up on my server.