Locking on vehicles with cannons on jets?

Locking on vehicles with cannons on jets?

« posted: Sep 16, 2014, 05:58 PM »
How to make it that jets can lock onto vehicles using cannons?

Currently, only missiles can lock onto vehicles. But in KOTH servers, players can lock onto targets with cannons, which is demonstrated in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWpts1CEQA

With this capability, players can use cannons more efficiently.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

Re: Locking on vehicles with cannons on jets?

« Reply #1 posted: Sep 16, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I don't have access to Youtube right now. What's a "cannon" in Arma 3? For me, a cannon is this.

« Reply #2 posted: Sep 16, 2014, 06:36 PM »
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: Sep 16, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Ah ok, you mean the gun. I haven't watched the video yet, but I can tell you it's possible to lock on the gun to a target. I think the only thing it does is make the bullet explodes when they come close to the target without a direct hit and/or auto-compensate for the distance by shooting higher. You can use Ctrl + Right Click to try it.

« Reply #4 posted: Sep 16, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Did you mean using Ctrl + Right Click to lock on vehicles instead of pressing "T"?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Sep 16, 2014, 07:39 PM »
What's T?

« Reply #6 posted: Sep 17, 2014, 07:32 AM »
This is the procedure I use to lock on a target using AG missile in a A-164:

1. Switch to AG missiles by press "F" key on the keyboard.
2. Impose the missile targeting marker (the <> sign in the middle of the screen) onto an enemy ground vehicle.
3. Press "T" key on the keyboard repeatedly until a square box appear on the vehicle.

The procedure in which I tried to lock on a target using the Gatling Gun in A-164:

1. Switch to the gun by press "F" key on the keyboard.
2. Impose the crosshair marker (the + sign in the middle of the screen) onto an enemy ground vehicle.
3. Press "T" key on the keyboard repeatedly and wait for a square box to appear on the vehicle.

But I couldn't get the square box to appear.

Could you tell me the correc procedure of using Ctrl + Right Click to lock on a ground vehicle with the Gatling gun?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 posted: Sep 17, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Ctrl + Right Click only makes the lozenge appear, not the square. I think the square only shows up after the lozenge is turned on, and that the gun is aimed at the proper location for a direct hit, which is kinda hard to get. But it doesn't really alter the flight path of the bullets, they still fire straight no matter what.

The locking system is a bit broken for plane machine guns, sometimes the lozenge disappears but the square stays on target until it leaves your screen, even if you're not aiming at it.

« Reply #8 posted: Sep 17, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Ctrl + Right Click does nothing when I am in the cockpit. I think it might be the difficulty setting. The one of my server is:

Code: [Select]

Armor=0;
FriendlyTag=1;
EnemyTag=0;
HUD=1;
HUDPerm=0;
HUDWp=1;
HUDWpPerm=1;
MineTag=1;
CameraShake=1;
ExtendetInfoType=0;
hudGroupInfo=1;
WeaponCursor=0;
AutoAim=0;
AutoGuideAT=0;
3rdPersonView=1;
ClockIndicator=1;
Map=1;
Tracers=0;
AutoSpot=0;
UltraAI=0;
DeathMessages=1;
NetStats=1;
VonID=1;
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 posted: Sep 17, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I dunno, for me Ctrl + Right Click is to trigger the "<>" (lozenge), but maybe it's just for my control scheme... I'll have to check
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 posted: Sep 18, 2014, 12:50 AM »
Oops sorry I mixed up a bit, Ctrl + Right Click shows the square, which is the target icon, and when you aim the gun at it, the lozenge, which is the lock icon, should show up.

« Reply #11 posted: Sep 18, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I've checked it again. Nothing showed up. The crosshair sign (+) wass still in the center of the screen as is.

This is really weird. Did you happen to change Ctrl + Right to an action other than "Optic Mode"?
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 posted: Sep 18, 2014, 06:37 PM »
No, Ctrl + Right Click is indeed only mapped to Optic Mode. I've also mapped the thumb button on my gaming mouse to Optic Mode, and it does the same thing as Ctrl + Right Click, which marks the aimed target with a square icon.