Banned for gamehack #38

Banned for gamehack #38

« posted: Oct 01, 2014, 05:03 AM »
I left my cheat engine running in the background without knowing and i got banned from A3Wasteland. I just got banned less than 5 mins ago. Please reply fast.
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

Re: Banned for gamehack #38

« Reply #1 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Let me understand this correctly. You were banned for Gamehack #38, which you are stating is a cheat engine, and you want to be removed from our servers ban list because you left a cheat engine running and you got caught.

go fly a kite.

TOP's current stance on Gamehack #38

Any and all ban appeals with code GameHack #38 WILL NOT be lifted.  This is due to the fact that you were detected by BattlEye for having a program installed that can alter the content or data of the Game.  You are a Cheater no matter how you look at it.  We have a Zero Tolerance policy for cheating.  We do not care if you have never attempted to cheat/hack Arma3, you do it to other games so you are a CHEATER.

TOPArma Mission - Share your mission on GitHub
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #2 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 02:03 PM »
needless to say, this is a BattlEye issued ban and should be taken up to them.

http://battleye.com/support.html
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 08:21 PM »

No no no, this is not a BattlEye ban. It's only a server kick. I have been kicked a couple times myself for gamehack 38, while I was ironically working on the antihack and I was experimenting with CheatEngine.

My personal policy for #38 would be to give the benefit of the doubt to first offenders. While that CE is indeed the primary way that people hack Arma 3 with, it is such a widespread tool that many people unknowingly leave it running in the background after messing with some other program and then try to play Arma 3.

I remember during my computer science course, I was using it to debug my C++ homework because the Visual Studio memory viewer is a pile of shit, and when I was done I forgot to close it and went on to play Battlefield. Instabanned by server :P
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

« Reply #4 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 08:42 PM »

No no no, this is not a BattlEye ban. It's only a server kick. I have been kicked a couple times myself for gamehack 38, while I was ironically working on the antihack and I was experimenting with CheatEngine.

My personal policy for #38 would be to give the benefit of the doubt to first offenders. While that CE is indeed the primary way that people hack Arma 3 with, it is such a widespread tool that many people unknowingly leave it running in the background after messing with some other program and then try to play Arma 3.

I remember during my computer science course, I was using it to debug my C++ homework because the Visual Studio memory viewer is a pile of shit, and when I was done I forgot to close it and went on to play Battlefield. Instabanned by server :P

It has become such a task to deal with people who have Cheat Engine running. The emails of people admitting they use it to cheat other games, yet come on to Arma 3 and don't use it to cheat. In my profession, and something I learned early, is you don't use your primary machine to test those instances, as you run risk of being flagged. The amount of time to deal with people caught, then getting their GUID, and then lifting the ban when you start to deal with multiple servers and an already limited time budget...

Cheat engines website:
About Cheat Engine

Cheat Engine is an open source tool designed to help you with modifying single player games running under window so you can make them harder or easier depending on your preference(e.g: Find that 100hp is too easy, try playing a game with a max of 1 HP), but also contains other usefull tools to help debugging games and even normal applications.

It comes with a memory scanner to quickly scan for variables used within a game and allow you to change them, but it also comes with a debugger, disassembler, assembler, speedhack, trainer maker, direct 3D manipulation tools, system inspection tools and more.

For new users it is recommended to go through the tutorial(The one that comes with Cheat Engine, you can find it in your programs list after installing) and at least reach step 5 for basic understanding of the usage of Cheat Engine

If you need help on Cheat Engine , you can always contact me at dark_byte@hotmail.com , msn supported as well(don't ask about online games, I don't know anything about that)
Or on irc: server: irc.p2p-network.net channel: #cef (Web-based irc)

Note: It will most likely not work on online games, so don't bother asking me that
Local Cheat Engine WIKI

Note that since cheat engine is open source, everyone is welcome to contribute to the project. Contact dark_byte@hotmail.com for more information about helping.

We already deal with enough people running scripts and causing headaches on the servers, why do we make an exemption for users that download the software knowing that it is used for modifying the way games run in memory. For those that claim they use it for downloading torrents for illegal software or whatever it may be, do more research before you install A CHEAT ENGINE and cry wolf.

I have a feeling we are going to be over run with the amount of #38's in the ban.txt, that we will probably need to develop some check system for lifting the ban once, then the next instance is not lifted.

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I find it quite disheartening that people get banned on first detection of gamehack #38, because it is not absolute proof that the player's intention was to cheat. It's like putting someone in jail for carrying a gun because you assume his intention is to commit murder, without any factual proof.

If you insist on banning first offenders, at least give them the benefit of the doubt if they say it was an accident and plead your mercy. If they get caught again, now you're allowed flip them off.
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

« Reply #6 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 08:49 PM »
It is possible to change it from admin ban to admin kick upon detection?

If so, is this part of the updated AH pushed that we need to modify? Would this be part of the BIS update in 1.30 for "speedhack"?

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 posted: Oct 01, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Normally, #38 only causes a kick. If people are getting banned, then you've got something else in the background looking at the kick logs that's swinging the banhammer.
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

« Reply #8 posted: Oct 02, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I wasnt aware of that, thanks for correcting me AgentREV :)
  • Offline Gagi2
  • Geared Up

« Reply #9 posted: Oct 04, 2014, 03:30 PM »
I find it quite disheartening that people get banned on first detection of gamehack #38, because it is not absolute proof that the player's intention was to cheat. It's like putting someone in jail for carrying a gun because you assume his intention is to commit murder, without any factual proof.

If you insist on banning first offenders, at least give them the benefit of the doubt if they say it was an accident and plead your mercy. If they get caught again, now you're allowed flip them off.

well with all respect... but thats bullshit....
you wont need to even have a cheattool on your harddrive if arent going to use it...
and if you have also already started it its just more obvious that you are going to use it...

just my 2 cents...

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 posted: Oct 04, 2014, 07:43 PM »
well with all respect... but thats bullshit....
you wont need to even have a cheattool on your harddrive if arent going to use it...
and if you have also already started it its just more obvious that you are going to use it...

just my 2 cents...

Yeah well 99% people who actually have CheatEngine don't know how to use it properly. And if somebody uses it for another single player game, and forgets to closing before going to play Arma 3, doesn't make sense to ban him on first sight.

The only people who should be banned are repeat offenders and those who actually get caught hacking. The only hackers I personally care about is those whose only purpose is to fuck the server up. I couldn't care less if they give themselves money or weapons, as long as they stay off the radar.

« Reply #11 posted: Oct 04, 2014, 09:17 PM »
A player in our server "earned" himself 5 billion dollars yesterday. There are quite a few exploits in this game. I will report everyone of them to the dev team.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 posted: Oct 04, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Sounds more like a hack than an exploit. I will be incorporating some additional checks based on Altis Life's SpyGlass antihack to further prevent hackers from running unauthorized scripts.
  • Offline CREAMPIE
  • Armaholic
  • Veteran
  • ^_^;;

« Reply #13 posted: Jun 25, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Sorry for reviving this old thread ... but i had a player just join and got booted for Gamehack#38. My 0 tolerance policy on hacking instinctively led me to add a permaban on the banlist. At least they know to come to TS if they want to dispute it

Code: [Select]
Hacker - GameHack #38 - Dispute on Teamspeak
Even if it were a false-posetive , players who make the effort to come to teamspeak and explain themselves get the benefit. If they are truly hacking , they don't bother.

I've seen alot less hacking since 1.46, i get maybe 1 - 2 Hackers a day now vs 5 - 15 before ...  I guess BE blocks alot of 3rd party stuff running in the background now ...

- from the grassy knoll -
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #14 posted: Jun 25, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I've been browsing a couple cheat sites as of late, and I noticed many fucking kiddos complaining about BE blocking a lot of cheats that used to work before, as well as the game memory being harder to access and modify. Looks like BE's finally doing its job.