Poll Does v1 affect your client FPS?

Yes
9 (81.8%)
No
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Massive client-side performance degradation on v1

« posted: Nov 03, 2014, 03:56 AM »
I've had a lot of complaints about clients FPS being dropped by a third or more since the switch to v1. I thought it was a server issue or something I added because I didn't see any post or issues about it in git. So it took me awhile to post about the problem while I tested some things. I set up a test server today for a old beta revive mission that's pretty much 99% vanilla and the newest v1 vanilla from git. I added a old A3W_Objects.ini with 200 objects I had laying around and matched the main_config.sqf to the old mission. Right when I logged on to revive beta I teleported to the salt flats and my FPS where around 55-60 then I logged off and shut down the server. I then set up the v1 with the same database and configs, just changing the pbo's. When I logged on to the v1 server I was in the same spot and my FPS were around 32-38. On my main server my FPS dropped to around 17-25 from 25-32 when full. The server had about 50 vehicles saved and around 400 objects to. People with higher end systems might not notice it much but when you drop much lower then 25 it really affects game play. I've lost a lot of players because of this.

What could be the cause of this? Do any other admins notice this?

Re: Massive client-side performance degradation on v1

« Reply #1 posted: Nov 03, 2014, 07:40 AM »
yeah i noticed...not just you. from what i can think of it might have to do with vehicle save request server is making. possible fix might be adding some kind of manual save trigger on players end. but one server crash and most saved vehicles might not save. idk
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 posted: Nov 03, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Can you upload "before" and "after" PBOs so I can try to diagnose the issue?

« Reply #3 posted: Nov 03, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply and testing Agent. I'm really surprised I'm the first to mention this. In the cities I can barley get past 24 FPS with the server empty, when it full it's 17. If you want Agent I can give you RDP to the test server and main server.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7aHLzJyhpf0bEt1azUyM0tWaTg/view?usp=sharing

« Reply #4 posted: Nov 06, 2014, 01:46 AM »
Is there going to be a fix or update for this? I'm just curious because if not I might need to revert eventually.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 posted: Nov 06, 2014, 02:15 AM »
If I actually manage to reproduce the issue, which has not happened so far. I get the same frames on both missions.

« Reply #6 posted: Nov 06, 2014, 02:53 AM »
Well that's unfortunate to hear. I thought this might happen. If you want to see it for your self you can rdp into the test server and join the server in game. Also when I did this test I wasn't be myself. I was with a knowledgeable member of the community. PM me if your interested.
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

« Reply #7 posted: Nov 06, 2014, 03:14 AM »
BIS forums, Skype Group and IRC channel activity are reporting issues with 1.34 as to performance drops. I understand that this was before 1.34, I only bring this to attention so that wheels are not spinning to get you back to where you were when there could be issues due to 1.34 too.

TOPArma Mission - Share your mission on GitHub

« Reply #8 posted: Nov 06, 2014, 03:21 AM »
I would be interesting to do the test with 1.34. I'll try that later and post the results.

« Reply #9 posted: Nov 06, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Did the test with 1.34 and I was pulling 35+ in Kavala with A3Wasteland_v0.9gh.Altis then with ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis I was geting barley 24 in Kavala. I guess I'm just crazy or stupid. This happens on my test server and my main server. If you do test this maybe try not using in-game LAN and use a real server. I'm going to ask my friend with a Linux server to try this.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 posted: Nov 07, 2014, 04:49 AM »
Okay, I managed to reproduce the issue, I get 120 FPS on v0.9gh and 80 on v1.0, with vehicle spawning off
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 posted: Nov 07, 2014, 05:35 AM »
So far, I've narrowed it down to changes that have been made between 0.9gh and 0.9h to "server\antihack\payload.sqf"... Turning off that file restores the FPS to it's former glory. BUT DON'T TURN IT OFF ON YOUR SERVER - I will issue a fix asap.

« Reply #12 posted: Nov 07, 2014, 05:40 AM »
Okay, I managed to reproduce the issue, I get 120 FPS on v0.9gh and 80 on v1.0, with vehicle spawning off
1st off those frames  :o
2nd so it's unrelated to vehicle saving? I only see improvement when I disable saves, thought Cpu load issue.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 posted: Nov 07, 2014, 05:41 AM »
2nd so it's unrelated to vehicle saving? I only see improvement when I disable saves, thought Cpu load issue.

The title says client-side, vehicle saving is server-side, your argument is invalid

« Reply #14 posted: Nov 07, 2014, 05:48 AM »

The title says client-side, vehicle saving is server-side, your argument is invalid
It usually is...
What I meant was maybe the client are loading all vehicles that are saved. Like even the ones not in our field of view