Has anyone pushed A3Wasteland to 100 Slots?

Has anyone pushed A3Wasteland to 100 Slots?

« posted: Dec 01, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I noticed there are quite a few 75 slot servers but nothing over that.

Is there a reason?

My box can definately handle 100 slots and I have the bandwidth.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out what my basic.cfg should be set to.
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

Re: Has anyone pushed A3Wasteland to 100 Slots?

« Reply #1 posted: Dec 01, 2014, 10:00 PM »

Is there a reason?

Once you push over 64 players, it becomes very problematic for all of the connected clients to receive updates in a timely matter.

The only way I could see pushing the 100+ person threshold is to code the client/server to pull/push relevant information within a radius of your unit. It's beyond my understanding.

TOPArma Mission - Share your mission on GitHub

« Reply #2 posted: Dec 02, 2014, 02:02 PM »
So I guess 100 slots would be a little much :D

I was wondering though.. when i change the max players to 70 it still stays at 64.  Is there another value i need to adjust?
  • Offline LouD
  • Silent but deadly ;)
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 posted: Dec 02, 2014, 02:52 PM »
So I guess 100 slots would be a little much :D

I was wondering though.. when i change the max players to 70 it still stays at 64.  Is there another value i need to adjust?
My guess is that you should look at your basic.cfg aswell. I have no clue at what to set this as I am struggling with this myself :P
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 posted: Dec 02, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Wasteland is a very resource-hungry gamemode due to the number of vehicles and items which exist simultaneously on the map, and the need to manage a lot of background stuff like vehicle respawning and side missions.

Arma is very poorly optimized when it comes to CPU usage, it doesn't use all of the power that is available for it. As a result, it is very hard to run a high-pop server smoothly. Even at 75 players, lag spikes are very frequent and voice chat often doesn't work well.

Additionally, in the context of A3W with extDB, every player that joins the server slows down the server FPS by about 1.5% compared to before joining; so if you have 100 players with a server that runs at 60 FPS empty, then the FPS would be: 60 * 0.985 ^ 100 = roughly 13, which is quite low.
  • Offline pippen
  • Wasteland Warrior
  • First Blood

« Reply #5 posted: Dec 07, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Yea I can tell ya anything over 75 players especially on Altis becomes very laggy unless your doing some major performance editing like removing anything that stays on the ground for too long and wrecked cars, no spawning of building props, etc... Which would kinda make the game abit bare and more bland in my opinon.

Is there a reason?

Just wondering whats your server specs? Also theres plenty of guides explaining how to setup basic.cfg, like figuring out your bandwidth and stuff. I'd actually set it slightly lower than what you have due to quality of service (unless your bandwidth is dedicated).

« Reply #6 posted: Dec 08, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 - 3.4ghz - 4 c/ 8 t
32 GB EEC Ram
120GB SSD

250mbps bandwidth (basically using OVH as my host)  They have amazing service, bandwidth, and specs.
  • Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

« Reply #7 posted: Dec 08, 2014, 07:56 PM »
We have several different types of servers. Our latest E3-1271V3 and first gen i7 handles 75 players. In the past 6 months, I've done a lot of different bandwidth settings, in fact when we have 75 people on the server, Server FPS/CPS is around 25, which is generally acceptable.

It seems it comes down to client performance and items littered all over the map.

Combine it with the fact that people enjoy DDoSing our servers, desync starts to become a real problem.

TOPArma Mission - Share your mission on GitHub

« Reply #8 posted: Dec 09, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I have my server running on 144 slots. evreything seems the same as it would be if it were 20 or 30
  • Offline bolox
  • Mercenary

« Reply #9 posted: Dec 31, 2014, 10:40 PM »
I guess it depends on if your hosting it on a shared VDS - which  would be a problem.
A full dedicated machine will improve alot of things,but arma is not very optimized generally.I dropped ours down from 70 to 64 on stratis,Also got rid of baseparts that spawn in wasteland,and its a much bigger improvement.Less dsync etc.
Our 250 popular player rust server 1rule- Dont be a dick
www.nomercykillers.com