Improved admin camera for Wasteland

• Offline micovery
  • Hardened

Improved admin camera for Wasteland

« posted: Dec 06, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Improved admin camera for Arma 3: A3Wasteland.

See video:

I've sent a pull request to AgentRev

https://github.com/A3Wasteland/ArmA3_Wasteland.Altis/pull/218

If he wishes to include this in the Vanilla repository.

Though, you don't have to wait for that, if you are interested ... just grab the source from the pull request.

It's integrated with the existing Spectate button from the player management admin menu, but it has a bunch of extra goodies:

Code: [Select]
Shift + > (attaches to next player on list)
Shift + < (attaches to prev player on list)
Ctrl + E (exit the camera mode)
Control + / (Attaches to target, or detaches from target)
Control + H (toggle target HUD ... shows basic player info)
N (cycles through NV, Thermal, and normal camera modes)
W,A,S,D (Move the camera in specified direction)
Q (Move the camera up, like helicopter)
Z (Move the camera down, like helicopter)
Mouse Move (Rotate camera naturally)
Scroll Wheel Up (Increase camera moving speed by 0.1 m/s, max 1 m/s)
Scroll Wheel Down (Decrease camera moving speed by 0.1 m/s, min 0 m/s)
Shift + W,A,S,D (Move the camera, but faster, extra 3 m/s)
M - Open/Close map (click on map, to move camera to clicked location)

By default, when you choose a player from the menu, you are in "attached" mode. However, you can detach from the player, and fly/roam around ... aim at someone else, and attach to that person.

Note that even while you are "attached" to a player, you can still move the camera around (relative to the player) to adjust the view as needed, and you can also rotate it as needed.

The detached mode works naturally as if you were "flying".

Re: Improved admin camera for Wasteland

« Reply #1 posted: Apr 04, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Sorry for reviving an old thread but how might I go about inverting the mouse pitch in the camera mode?  I've been playing inverted (airplane) mouse in FPS games for 20 years and the habit is well and truly set.

I'm looking through the code now but I'm far from good at this...
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 posted: Apr 04, 2015, 11:24 PM »
I think this is handled by the game engine, so I don't know if it can be reverted, but I could be wrong.

I find it pretty weird that you would play airplane games with the mouse inverted, when I fly planes and I move the mouse down I expect the nose to go down, the only thing that's always been normally inverted is the up/down arrow keys.

« Reply #3 posted: Apr 05, 2015, 07:43 AM »

I find it pretty weird that you would play airplane games with the mouse inverted

Ha :)  This debate is as old as PC gaming.  The best explanation is to think of it as moving your head.  When your head (mouse) tilts forward, your vision pans down.  When your head (mouse) moves back, your vision comes up.

I don't think either control method is 'correct' but as I mentioned, I have been playing with airplane mouse controls since Quake in 1996.  I'm set in my ways.   ;D
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 posted: Apr 05, 2015, 07:52 AM »
I don't know, I think of my mouse in the vertical plane, as if it was stuck to a wall. The mouse goes down like if you were pulling a string attached to your chin. Or like the bottom ocular muscles contract when you look down.

Do you have like, the regular Windows cursor movement inverted as well? lol

« Reply #5 posted: Apr 05, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Makes perfect sense and I suspect if we ran a poll, 60% of people would use your (standard) mouse controls, the rest of us use inverted mouse, not because it makes more sense, just because we started that way and we are used to it.

Ooh, look what I found...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/the-big-question-inverted-or-normal/

• Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 posted: Apr 05, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Hmm that poll is surprising, I would've expected the numbers to be more in the likes of right vs left handed (90/10?), but oh well. That explains why there are "Invert Mouse" options in games where I never thought it made any sense (like CoD). Also, thanks for the donation.