suggestions?

suggestions?

« posted: Dec 12, 2014, 02:31 AM »
hello! im Alex from HMAF gaming. we are a small community that has recently set up a wasteland server. Like any new comunity we are finding it hard to keep server population high. we avrage around 5-7 players a day 15 being the peak (this week) i have noticed a trend; most people join populated servers, leaving low populated servers well, just that. any suggestions on how i can maintain or gain a decent server population? any help and tips is appreciated.

HMAF.ts3dns.com
31.186.251.186:2302
  • Offline JoSchaap
  • Developer
  • Mercenary
  • Had a life.. Got a modem.. (~1996)

Re: suggestions?

« Reply #1 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 12:12 PM »
just rename your server to 'top #9 awesomesauce' or something alike
That's what the new wasteland server seems to be doing lately :P

Now for a more serious reply :

- good performance
- good admin availabilty
- proper support
- taking time to populate it with some friends on a dayly basis :)

As a new server you've got to rely on players bringing inn friends or telling ppl about the good time they had on your server.

• Offline lodac
  • Hardened
  • TOP Arma Server Admin

« Reply #2 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Funny guy JoSchaap.

TOPArma Mission - Share your mission on GitHub
  • Offline Ganja
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #3 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 05:26 PM »

- good performance
- good admin availabilty
- proper support

Those I can definitely agree upon. But something else that will help is go have a look at some of the higher populated servers (and some of the mid-high ones as well) and have a look at how they have things set up. Have a careful look at each and see what they all have in common...Then go back to your server files, look to see if you have anything similar on your server. If you do, change it.
     Seriously, change it. Make the server your own, make it unique. for example, most of the servers I have been on, have so much in common. sure they add this modd or that modd, but the basicls of each modd are the same...Modd the modds, give it some personality and some uniqueness. Like our DFLT server. Almost every single server has the same exact thing...the spawn beacon is a tent...since when is a beacon a tent? In my mind a beacon should be an electronic device of some sort. When you die and drop stuff, do you drop a tent bag? no you drop a briefcase. I know it's the year 2035, but really, who packs a camping tent in a metal briefcase? I changed our spawn beacons to Satellite Phones. You know, that little open briefcase type thing with electronics inside. Sure some may say it is small, but that's why we have a beacon detector modd addon. (it picks up the electrical pulses of a spawn beacon).
     And our WarChest...Let's just say, it ain't no merchants store counter......I made it the upper half of a  Skeleton (War=Death and  Upper half of skeleton=chest).
     Change the AI skills and the gear they have. Adjust the rewards
     Just take a min and think, what do you want your server to be like, and make it that way, listen to your players as well, they are the players after all. Don't just give them the world thou, but take their recommendations and suggestions into consideration when building the vision.
    Make it your own, make it a home for you and your community.
  • Offline AgentRev
  • Developer
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 05:34 PM »
the spawn beacon is a tent...since when is a beacon a tent?

Since Karel Moricky decided that tents were respawn points in Zeus.

who packs a camping tent in a metal briefcase

The briefcase is just a generic object we use for pretty much everything that cannot be dropped easily otherwise. There is no tent bag in the game, there are sleeping bags I think, but even there they're a bit too big.

« Reply #5 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 05:42 PM »

- good performance
- good admin availabilty
- proper support

As a new server you've got to rely on players bringing inn friends or telling ppl about the good time they had on your server.

Thanks for your reply. we have tried getting a few people on but i so far it has not made a massive difrence. I also feel we have a good support team. we have a very organised system for staff butr we dont usaly get to interact with players (they never join the TS)

« Reply #6 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 05:44 PM »

- good performance
- good admin availabilty
- proper support

I'd suggets poping on the server and jsut give us a little feedback. creative critisism is welcomed.

« Reply #7 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 05:45 PM »

- good performance
- good admin availabilty
- proper support

Those I can definitely agree upon. But something else that will help is go have a look at some of the higher populated servers (and some of the mid-high ones as well) and have a look at how they have things set up. Have a careful look at each and see what they all have in common...Then go back to your server files, look to see if you have anything similar on your server. If you do, change it.
     Seriously, change it. Make the server your own, make it unique. for example, most of the servers I have been on, have so much in common. sure they add this modd or that modd, but the basicls of each modd are the same...Modd the modds, give it some personality and some uniqueness. Like our DFLT server. Almost every single server has the same exact thing...the spawn beacon is a tent...since when is a beacon a tent? In my mind a beacon should be an electronic device of some sort. When you die and drop stuff, do you drop a tent bag? no you drop a briefcase. I know it's the year 2035, but really, who packs a camping tent in a metal briefcase? I changed our spawn beacons to Satellite Phones. You know, that little open briefcase type thing with electronics inside. Sure some may say it is small, but that's why we have a beacon detector modd addon. (it picks up the electrical pulses of a spawn beacon).
     And our WarChest...Let's just say, it ain't no merchants store counter......I made it the upper half of a  Skeleton (War=Death and  Upper half of skeleton=chest).
     Change the AI skills and the gear they have. Adjust the rewards
     Just take a min and think, what do you want your server to be like, and make it that way, listen to your players as well, they are the players after all. Don't just give them the world thou, but take their recommendations and suggestions into consideration when building the vision.
    Make it your own, make it a home for you and your community.

Thanks! this is very helpfull advice, me and my comunity will take it into consideration. your welcome to join our server, any constructive critisism is welcomed.
  • Offline Ganja
  • Fresh Spawn

« Reply #8 posted: Dec 12, 2014, 11:58 PM »
the spawn beacon is a tent...since when is a beacon a tent?

Since Karel Moricky decided that tents were respawn points in Zeus.

who packs a camping tent in a metal briefcase

The briefcase is just a generic object we use for pretty much everything that cannot be dropped easily otherwise. There is no tent bag in the game, there are sleeping bags I think, but even there they're a bit too big.

Sry Agent...wasn't trying to criticize the choices, More so, i was just trying to justify my adjustment to the object choices. As I can imagine there are reasons for having those items as the choice items to begin with. Tents would make it easier to find by others.